VOGONS

First post, by meme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm running GNU/Linux (Athlon 2500+). I've installed DOSBox ver. 0.63 and Qemu 0.70. For fun, I made full win98 installation with qemu. Qemu has incomplete sound support, but in DOSBox sounds work ok.

Now, when I run win98 with qemu, and try to play DOS games, they run just smooth! A lot faster than with DOSBox! Qemu running win98 is in speed comparable to a pentium 2, even in DOS mode.

Qemu version I'm running is full GPL'd code, so I thought you could look at it, if you could use something of it.

DOSBox in general is fine, I ran Cannonfodder and Assault Trooper just ok, but Liero and Tapan Kaikki run slow compared to Qemu.

Qemu homepage:
[url]http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/[/url]

Reply 1 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Been meaning to compare qemu to DosBox as far as speed goes but really haven't gotten into it.

Are you using KQemu too?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 3, by meme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using only the GPL'd part, 'cause proprietary kernel modules do only irritate and are hard to get working (proprietary nvidia drivers are missing too.)

So, I run full in userspace. Machine is Athlon 2500+, 512KiB L2, 256MiB RAM, 266MHz FSB.

Comparing DOSBox and Qemu is meaningful, because both do full hardware emulation.