VOGONS

First post, by sehh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Since 0.64 isn't going to be released any time soon, i thought i'd try the latest CVS builds that have some important fixes for me.

I downloaded a binary from Moe's website (as suggested in the sticky thread about CVS builds), unfortunately, it requires SDL 1.3, which isn't available for Fedora Core 4.

Since i dont want to spend a weekend downloading devel libs and compiling all the different dependencies, can someone please supply me with a binary of the latest CVS buld (with or without patches, i don't mind) which uses SDL 1.2 (or is static linked to 1.3).

Pretty please with sugar on top? 😁

--
sehh

Reply 4 of 18, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well fedora core does some nasty stuff usually.
not sure if you can use builds created on other linux distro's there.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 18, by sehh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

indeed.

though, a few years ago when RPM packages came out i promised myself that i'll never complie code that isn't mine.

enough is enough, i don't want to spend my valuable time hunting down gcc problems, library incompatibilities, script bugs, 'configure' parameters, 'make' dependencies, linux distro differences and a million other fun stuff that usualy makes you spend 8 hours over someone elses source code.

i made this promise and i've kept it. if it doesn't come in RPM, then i'll ask for a binary. Since then, i've never been happier running *nix systems (Linux and FreeBSD).

I'M FREE!! 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁

--
sehh

Reply 9 of 18, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sehh wrote:

How often is that binary updated? its still linked to SDL 1.3 😢

Well, if you read what I wrote on my homepage, you'd know that I only intend to update when I do a new build for myself. Which means between 2 weeks and 2 months. Sorry to say that... if you like, I can upload an all-in-one patch which is used to create my build, then you'll only have to do the well-known "./configure && make install" dance without hunting for patch conflicts and the like.

Reply 10 of 18, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm on Windows rather than Linux, but I was able to set up an MinGW/MSYS environment (a huge pain in the ass to do though). Now I just have to do:

cvs -z3 update -d
/e/configure.dosbox
make && make install

To get a build of the latest CVS. This is of course without any patches, but it wouldn't be *too* hard if I wanted to apply one (for a while I was including Munt for MT-32 emulation in my CVS builds, then I got a real MT-32 and didn't need it any more).

Reply 11 of 18, by sehh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
`Moe` wrote:

Well, if you read what I wrote on my homepage, you'd know that I only intend to update when I do a new build for myself. Which means between 2 weeks and 2 months. Sorry to say that... if you like, I can upload an all-in-one patch

i'm sorry, i didn't see that.

no worries, i'll wait around for a next build.

thanks!

--
sehh

Reply 12 of 18, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HunterZ, it's not diffcult if there's only one patch, but even my own patches conflict with each other: hq2x and vesa. Conflicts can be a major PITA even if you know the code. My build has 4 conflicting patches, so it is already some work to get it right.

Reply 16 of 18, by sehh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

WOW!

my cpu usage went from 90% down to 5-10% with 5000 cpu cycles running EOB3. I've now raised my cpu cycles up to 15000 (ten thousand more!!).

what can i say... just amazing... great work Moe!!! i dont know what you've done, but this is DOSBOX-ON-STEROIDS!!

PS:
does this version support any new parameters/options in the config file?

--
sehh

Reply 18 of 18, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank me for the features and Kronuz and gulikoza for performance. 😀 I just collected all of my patches plus two patches not from me and applied them.

To see what options exist, use z:\config -writeconf newdosbox.conf