VOGONS

First post, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I've been trying to set a resolution of 320x200 with a 100 Hz refresh rate in my GeForce 6600 GT card but it seems to be impossible.

Do you know why? Are there any technical limitations that prevent low resolutions from having higher refresh rates?

Thanks in advance.

Reply 2 of 42, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry, I know it's not a problem in DosBox, but my question is related to it because I'd like to play the games at their original resolution.

I'm using scaler=none in DosBox to get the maximum possible speed, but I cannot use the higher refresh rates that my monitor supports.

For people with CRT monitors, the main reason to use the scalers is to obtain higher refresh rates.

Wouldn't it be better to use the low resolutions and disable the scalers?

Regards.

Reply 3 of 42, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm using scalers because of refresh rates? Huh? The main reason to use scalers is the look. Refresh rates are really just a side effect, and if you use something else than output=surface, you use fullfixed and fullresolution to work around display hardware limitations.

Reply 5 of 42, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why do you want to achieve such a high refresh rate in the first place?

Your eyes won't probably notice any impromevent beyond 60-75Hz (frames).

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 7 of 42, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I can still notice a little bit of flicker at 75 Hz (although I cannot notice any flickering at 85 Hz or higher), honest.

Having 100 Hz at 320x200 would be the "holy grail" for me. I like to play the games at their original resolutions, without any scaling or filtering.

Heck, I even dumped my LCD monitor for a CRT one!

I've tried a lot of programs in order to overcome the 75 Hz limitation (ReForce, PowerStrip, RivaTuner, etc.), but it seems to be completely impossible.

I'm starting to think that it's a hardware limitation of NVIDIA cards.

Does anyone know why?

Regards.

Reply 8 of 42, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Games that run in 320x200 are designed to run at 70 Hz. I don't know how DosBox works internally, but if you increase the refresh rate, those games that base their whole timing on the VBlank signal will either run too fast, or (if DosBox keeps the VBlank signal separate from the actual monitor refresh) you'll get tearing in smooth-scrolling games if your monitor has a non-matching refresh rate.

Reply 9 of 42, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox definitely does not time anything off of the host refresh rate. I'd bet that DOSBox doesn't even know about the host refresh rate - that's something that SDL probably takes care of when DOSBox tells it to display what's being emulated.

Reply 10 of 42, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got an answer from Unwinder, the author of RivaTuner:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=162322

Unwinder wrote:

That's the driver's limitation. Old Detonators allowed VGA modes to use high refresh rates. I've no info why NV limits it now.

It seems that NVIDIA doesn't care about low resolution modes anymore...

That's torn it 🙁

Reply 11 of 42, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If this is correct it's probably because LCD's are the main focus of ATI/Nvidia. Arent's LCD's limited to 60hz? So where's this 75hz come from? Do LCD's also use that?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 15 of 42, by Leolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

`Moe`,

I think that we want different things. If I understand it correctly, you like scalers because they "improve" the image quality.

I don't want that. I prefer to see the image that the game designers intended.

What I want is to DISABLE the scalers. I want my monitor to display the original resolution of the game.

I agree that scalers are great for LCD users. But I think they are unnecessary if you own a CRT monitor.

I bought a CRT monitor just for that! I was tired of blurring and aspect ratio issues (my previous monitor was an LCD with a 5:4 aspect ratio, and getting it to display sharp images was a real pain).

Regards.

Reply 16 of 42, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Leolo, do you have doublescan enabled in your drivers? This could be the reason for the forced low refresh rate.

If doublescan is already disabled, try scaler=normal2x. It just doubles the image in each dimension without smoothing anything. If you're in full screen, make sure to double the resolution to 640x400. Running in this higher resolution should (hopefully) let you set the refresh rate higher.

Reply 17 of 42, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I believe that 320x200 resolutions ran at 60Hz on CGA and EGA devices and only on VGA card did they up the refresh rate to 70Hz. This would suggest that games with CGA and EGA graphics show tearing on VGA adapters. Also, Hercules cards used a 50Hz refresh rate.

Reply 18 of 42, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm sure that SVGA cards running in EGA and CGA modes would be capable of driving the monitor at 60Hz for those modes. I don't know about plain VGA adapters though.

Reply 19 of 42, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For many "static" games like adventures and role playing games, where the animation is somewhat limited, I doubt that any difference would be noticeable. I assu,e the increase in refresh rate was due to the fact that many people, including myself, can perceive flicker at 60Hz. Looking at a 60Hz display for long periods of time is an assault on the eyes. Office computers are especially offensive in this regard because they are always set to the "optimal" refresh rate. I always change the setting to 75Hz or 85Hz on any monitor I am regularly using.