VOGONS

First post, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How about a plugin system for the commands in dosbox? Like some sort of API exposed to a small scripting language (of course, both being platform indipendent) to write new utilities like an enhanced DIR or a new MOUNT (if someone found a need for a new one).

I don't really have any ideas of what it could be used for yet, but if people think about it perhaps some ideas will popup 😀

Reply 1 of 8, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It might be nice, but DOSBox is already open-source. Your idea would have the advantages of making it easier to create addons to DOSBox and (perhaps more relevant) to make it possible to enhance or customize DOSBox without rebuilding it from the source code. I'm not sure how technically feasible it would be, though, as a lot of that stuff would probably have to hook pretty deeply into DOSBox.

Reply 2 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Would a plugin system make it easier to keep DOSBox purely cross platform, but allow plugins that might be platform specific?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 8, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is true...

Like the hidden file attributes Qbix posted in my Global Conquest thread. The game doesn't work in multiplayer because it needs to detect a hidden file attribute and then not find the file when doing a normal directory lookup.

QBix said it's not possible because there wasn't a unified way to do this that is cross-platform.

But if there was a filesystem plugin model, there could be a win32 and linux based plugins that allow hidden attributes on files!

😀:)

Reply 5 of 8, by Thraka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry, I was referencing his reply to the hidden flag when I asked abotu future plans to support one, which he said:

well futher then on the imgdrive.
no. No simple cross platform solution.

Which gave me the imipression of, no 😀

Reply 7 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Would it be possible for DosBox to fake the hidden attribute on a mounted drive using "mount"?

Ex: User would have to run attrib +h on the file which would only have effect under DosBox and not on the host operating system?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 8, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yes, i think so. But in most cases the user doesn't know that
something misbehaves because an attribute is *missing*
(the opposite is much easier to detect, like savegames can't
be written because the readonly flag is ON).