VOGONS

First post, by farhany

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

While I am new to programming on Mac OS X, I have some experience in C/C++ programming on the Intel platform. I was wondering if anyone was interested and willing to help me create a G5/Tiger optimized version of DOSBox? Are there any guides?

Regards,

Farhan

Reply 1 of 4, by neowolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you just want to compile a version optimized as much as possible for your G5 you can just compile dosbox yourself (there are plenty of guides for that - I'm still in progress writing a Mac specific one) and use the "-fast" flag. Apple added that one to gcc to get instant compile options for maximum speed on a G5. If you want to do more serious work like write a dynamic core for PPC, I applaud you but I'm not touching that with a ten foot pole.

Reply 3 of 4, by neowolf

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Right off the main website we have the one. http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php? … =BuildingDOSBox

Honestly though you shouldn't expect night and day performance boosts just by optimized compiling. It can make some improvements but it's not monumental either.

Reply 4 of 4, by farhany

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

neowoilf,

Thanks for the pointer. I'll check it out.

Oh, and I am not expecting great leaps and bounds of performance increases... Just wanted an optimized version, and if seems like a relatively easy thing to do, then why not. And if in the process, I learn a little bit, even better!

Can I talk to you privately (via IM) if I have any questions?

Regards,

farhany