VOGONS

First post, by Gordon Bennett

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If possible, I would like to have a scanlines option available in the scaler settings. The closest available is the tv2x, but that uses dimmed lines in between standard lines instead of black ones.

While the tv2x filter looks nice with certain things, it doesn't seem to work terribly well when there is a high contrast between pixels. I have used other emulators that have this feature, such as WinUAE and Steem, and it seems to make all low resolution graphics look much better consistently.

Reply 1 of 3, by MobyGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gordon Bennett wrote:

If possible, I would like to have a scanlines option available in the scaler settings. The closest available is the tv2x, but that uses dimmed lines in between standard lines instead of black ones.

While the tv2x filter looks nice with certain things, it doesn't seem to work terribly well when there is a high contrast between pixels. I have used other emulators that have this feature, such as WinUAE and Steem, and it seems to make all low resolution graphics look much better consistently.

Do you want that feature just "in general", or for more true-to-life images? If the latter, only CGA and EGA monitors in 200-line modes had scanlines; everything else didn't (MCGA/VGA 320x200 was double-scanned).

I love scanlines too (I won't play MAME without them turned on) but just wanted to point out that scanlines on, say, a VGA 256-color game is unrealistic.

Reply 2 of 3, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not so unrealistic if you were used to, say, Amiga AGA versions. That's the beauty of emulated scanlines: you can play at VGA games the way they should have looked ;)

Kronuz' patch has a neat scanline feature, btw.