VOGONS

First post, by SirGraham

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In the title screen of QFG3, a lightning is supposed to hit the Hero's sword, as seen in this screenshot:

qfg3gamenew29jl.png

But under DOSBox, this lightning is totally missing if the CPU Cycles are set to the default of 3000. If you increase the cycles to about 9000, the lightning will be displayed, but only for like half a second (it disappears so fast that I wasn't even able to capture a screenshot of it with DOSBox, I had to find one on-line). If I remember correctly, the lightning is supposed to linger MUCH longer than that on real DOS machines, so there's a problem here. If you increase the cycles to very high values, the lightning will linger a little longer but still not long enough, and this game is not very playable at high cycles values anyway.

Incidentally, I noticed that other SCI1 games (like KQ5 and KQ6), when loaded at the default CPU Cycles level (3000), will always run with the Details bar set to the middle or even lower than that (it can effect some animations; for exapmle, in KQ5, the willow tree will be static). You can raise the Details manually but if you restart the game it will drop again. KQ5 and KQ6 will run with maximum Details if you set the CPU Cycles to 9000, but QGF3's Details bar will always be in the middle, and it doesn't matter what the CPU Cycles value is (it can even be as high as 40,000).

Reply 1 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What version are you using? If it's the floppy version, does this help? http://sierra.com/downloadfile.do?gamePlatfor … 6&mediaid=12360

I seem to remember issues with this on my real DOS machines back in the day as well - something about which sound driver I used maybe? You may want to experiment with, for example, choosing Thunderboard instead of Sound Blaster.

Reply 2 of 14, by Servo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SirGraham wrote:

You can raise the Details manually but if you restart the game it will drop again. KQ5 and KQ6 will run with maximum Details if you set the CPU Cycles to 9000, but QGF3's Details bar will always be in the middle, and it doesn't matter what the CPU Cycles value is (it can even be as high as 40,000).

Once you load a saved game though, it should restore whatever setting was being used when that game was saved. The games did this on real machines as well, it's not a dosbox bug. The machine I played most of Sierra's games on back in the day needed the detail set to the lowest possible as it was rather slow; every time I started the game max detail was used, but loading a saved game would automatically resort back to the low detail.

Reply 4 of 14, by SirGraham

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the problem does seem to be related to sound, because if you configure the game to not play sound effects the lightning will be displayed, and for the correct amount of time. I tried many types of patches but they did not help.

So, I performed a test on an older computer (P2 350MHz) that has a real SoundBlaster and while the lightning did appear, it vanished really fast. On even older, more DOS-based computers (the one I used had Win98), the lightning is displayed for a longer anount of time (if I remember correctly), so it seems there is a problem in DOSBox because it's not supposed to behave like Pentium II (and don't forget that if the CPU Cycles are set to 3000 the lightning isn't shown at all, which is even worse than what happened on the Pentium II).

Incidentally, in the demo of QFG3 (which can be downloaded here), the lightning is displayed for the correct amount of time when you run it under DOSBox, regardless of the sound setting.

Servo wrote:

The machine I played most of Sierra's games on back in the day needed the detail set to the lowest possible as it was rather slow; every time I started the game max detail was used, but loading a saved game would automatically resort back to the low detail.

The games started with maximum Details on a slow machine, you say? I think that the exact opposite happens in DOSBox!

Reply 5 of 14, by SirGraham

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also tried using VDMSound to test this, but for some reason I keep getting the message "Unable to initialize your audio hardware", even after using GOSiERRA. Very weird. Then again, I never used VDMSound before, so I don't know...

Reply 7 of 14, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now thats odd.....I love this game and never even noticed this little problem on Dosbox. On my old pentium the lightning did remain for a longer time. Although it seems to me beyond this the game works correctly.

9000 does seem to be the sweet spot for best performance without getting the "Oops!" errors that sierra games just love to have. 😵 Although its wierd how the detail bar reacts.....

Reply 8 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC, Unable to initialize audio hardware doesn't mean anything right? The audio still plays doesn't it? I seem to remember posts about this a long long time ago.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 14, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually it DOES disable the sound. 😖 The best way to fix it (without using a third party patch) is simply to reduce the amount of cycles. I find that 9000 works for most sierra games.

Reply 10 of 14, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Typically that error results from Sierra games waiting for the audio hardware to respond by a certain number of cycles instead of a certain amount of real time. At higher cycle settings (or on faster CPUs) this can mean that the game will give up on the hardware much too soon.

Reply 14 of 14, by SirGraham

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found that if you reduce the CPU usage to the minimum in VDMSound (found under the Performance tab), the "unable to initialize your audio hardware" message will not appear, but the lightning will be displayed for a very brief second. Not much help there, then.
Note: for some reason, If "Remember my settings" was checked when I pressed finish in VDMSound, the "unable to initialize your audio hardware" message did appear! Weird.[/quote]