VOGONS

First post, by zbiggy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does dosbox support LPT soundcards in stereo?

I found information that stereo LPT sounds was done in 2 ways:

a) two LPT ports with two connected DSS
b) one LPT with one DSS. The left/right channel switching is done via signaling on pin #1 of LPT port - the STROBE signal.

Reply 1 of 2, by MobyGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't answer the dosbox support question, but wanted to calrify a few things: The stereo LPT DAC stuff was usually a "stereo-on-1" circuit that you built yourself. Neither the Covox Speech Thing nor the Disney Sound Source support stereo.

The MSound Stereo LPT DAC *did* support stereo but I don't have any programming documentation for it. It was some sort of reprogrammable D/A that could do mono, stereo, even quad I think. I have a unit in my basement, but all I've ever been able to do with it was use a small program to reprogram it to work like a Speech Thing (which it does very well). The only game I know of that has "native" support for the MSound was Links.

Reply 2 of 2, by Roxor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This initial question sounds familiar. A number of DOS era demos used fairly simple circuits that you could build yourself for stereo sound via LPT. Some of them don't like the emulated Sound Blaster, or even a genuine SB16, and for any kind of decent sound, they rely on these circuits you can build yourself. It would be nice to see support for these D/A circuits added to DOSBox.

I found a scematic for these circuits in the documentation for a demo. Screenshots are attatched. Both are from the same document.

Attachments

• paralellsnd2.png
    Filename
    paralellsnd2.png
    File size
    4.42 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Stereo schematic
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • paralellsnd1.png