VOGONS

First post, by SirGraham

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've noticed that the new CVS build supports the mouse cursor of The Big Red Adventure, so I wanted to run the game.
The game runs fine, but there are severe sound problems, especially when speech is played in the intro. In addition, if the floppy version of the game is the one used, DOSBox always crashes after the concert scene in the intro (the crash doesn't happen with the CD version, but the CD version is inferior to the floppy version and runs waaaay too slow under DOSBox).

I remember having similar problems with this game on a real DOS machine, and they were solvable by adding the line "DEVICE=EMM386.EXE D=64" (the line DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS had to appear before it, obviously) to the CONFIG.SYS file.
I haven't find a way to do it under DOSBox - can it be done? I tried using an MS-DOS 6.22 boot disk that has a CONFIG.SYS file with this line, but DOSBox froze when it tried to boot it (and even if it was able to boot it, I'd have to use a HDD image with the game files in it which I'm not yet sure how to do; is there a way to use the MOUNT command after booting an MS-DOS boot disk? SoundBlaster and mouse support work without drivers after booting such a boot disk, so I don't understand why MOUNT doesn't work).

So, is there a way to modify CONFIG.SYS under DOSBox? It'll definitely solve the sound problems. I'm not sure about the crash though - there were crashes on the real DOS machine if "DEVICE=EMM386.EXE D=64" wasn't in use, but they were more random crashes, not constant such as the crash in DOSBox.

Incidentally, I tried running the game with VDMSound, because in VDMSound you can add lines to CONFIG.SYS. However, the game works with the aforementioned sound problems with or without the EMM386 line, so I guess VDMSound can't help with this matter.
I also noticed that if basic VEAS support is enabled in VDMSound, the game crashes constantly at the same exact place it crashes under DOSBox (after the concert in the intro), and if it's disabled, there are no crashes, so apparently this crash is related to the VESA drivers and not to the missing EMM386 line. If this is the case, then it's odd that the CD version doesn't crash under DOSBox (the CD version doesn't work at all with VDMSound, by the way).

Reply 2 of 35, by SirGraham

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What do you mean "install"? Like to a directory on my real HD which is mounted as C: under DOSBox? And where will the boot sector will be written?

And even if it works, how will I mount the directory that contains TBRA afterwards?

Reply 3 of 35, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can't install DOS in DOSBox, but you can mount a bootable disk image of DOS in DOSBox and boot from it. It will lose access to any mounted folders from your physical disks when you do, though.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 35, by SirGraham

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Thank you for this link. I believe it brings me closer to my cause.

Ok, I now have a bootable HD image that works under DOSBox. However, to run this game (and probably others) I need some DOS files on this HD. For starters, I'll need the HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE.

So, I took the images of the three MS-DOS 6.22 installation disks that I happen to have and booted them under DOSBox so I can make a full installation of MS-DOS 6.22 on the HD image. However, I got this error:
"A disk error was detected while writing new boot record to your first hard disk".
Since that failed, I decided to manually copy the two files that I need. The problem is, they appear as EMM386.EX_ and HIMEM.SY_, so I renamed them. But when I had my CONFIG.SYS with the line DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS in it, the HDD image always froze on booting.

So I guess there are two possibilities - 1. Renaming HIMEM.SY_ to HIMEM.SYS is not a good solution, and I need the real file. If this is the case, can I install the files from my DOS 6.22 installation disks without it trying to overwrite the HDD boot? If not, is there somewhere that I can download these files?
2. DOSBox can't handle HIMEM.SYS at all. If this is the case, well... can I still make some extended memory available?

Thanks

By the way - it seems that even though no device drivers are loaded when I boot this HD, I still get SoundBlaster support! How can it be? There's no mouse support (unless I load a driver), after all.

Last edited by SirGraham on 2006-02-06, 22:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 35, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Files that end in .??_ are compressed. You can use EXPAND.EXE (which should be included both on your DOS disks and with every verison of Windows) to decompress them.

Reply 7 of 35, by SirGraham

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanx, HunterZ. It worked. But now when the HD boots, I get:

ERROR: No available extended memory was found. XMS Driver not installed.

Is there something I can do? Like add parameters to the HIMEM.SYS line or to DOSBox? I already have xms=true in DOSBOX.CONF...

Reply 8 of 35, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm... I think you can add /v or /verbose or something similar to device=himem.sys in config.sys and then see if it's loading properly. You may want to also set xms=false in dosbox.conf so that it will let HIMEM.SYS provide the XMS instead of trying to do it itself.

I should mention that I haven't yet tried booting MS-DOS inside of DOSBox myself.

Reply 9 of 35, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

for hdd boot you HAVE to set xms and ems to false in dosbox.conf. And you have to add Device=himem.sys to config.sys. You can even write Device=himem.sys /testmem:off to speed things up (you need to pint eh line to the actual location of himem.sys though)

Reply 10 of 35, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SirGraham wrote:

By the way - it seems that even though no device drivers are loaded when I boot this HD, I still get SoundBlaster support! How can it be? There's no mouse support (unless I load a driver), after all.

Real, physical SoundBlaster cards work without a driver in almost all DOS programs, only the physical card needs to be there; the games contain their own code for talking to it. Same in dosbox: only the emulated card needs to be there -- and it is, no matter whether you boot a DOS inside dosbox or you don't.

The mouse, on the other hand, is almost always used through a driver by DOS programs. Booting DOS seems to clobber the INT33 vector to this driver.

tearex

Reply 11 of 35, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The reason, of course, is that not all mice talked to the computer in the same way, so a standard driver interface developed to solve the problem. This was especially helpful when PS/2 mice came along.

The same thing happened with CD-ROM drives and SVGA cards (via VESA drivers), although by the late DOS era most CD-ROM drives used the ATAPI standard and most SVGA cards had VESA support in the BIOS.

The SoundBlaster doesn't need drivers because it (and the Adlib) set the standard and everyone else cloned it closely. It did have drivers available (I remember sound.com, ctsomething.drv, and similar) but only a few games bothered to use them, since it was just as easy to talk to the hardware directly.

Reply 12 of 35, by SirGraham

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

for hdd boot you HAVE to set xms and ems to false in dosbox.conf. And you have to add Device=himem.sys to config.sys. You can even write Device=himem.sys /testmem:off to speed things up (you need to pint eh line to the actual location of himem.sys though)

Yeah, I finally set ems and xms to false, and then HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE were loaded fine, and the game ran quite flawlessly (although some parts were way to slow unless I raised the CPU Cycles to ~20,000, and I have a P4 2.8GHz!)

However, EMM386.EXE didn't work perfectly, unless I added 'noems' to the line in CONFIG.SYS; if I didn't add 'noems' I got some errors, as seen in the attached picture, and the game crashed at a specific point. Not only did it cause the crash, it also corrupted the game's files, and even when I added 'noems' again, the game kept crashing in the same location until I re-copied its files to the HD image.
Is there a way to use ems with EMM386 under DOSBox? I already disabled DOSBOX.CONF's ems...

TeaRex wrote:

Real, physical SoundBlaster cards work without a driver in almost all DOS programs, only the physical card needs to be there; the games contain their own code for talking to it. Same in dosbox: only the emulated card needs to be there -- and it is, no matter whether you boot a DOS inside dosbox or you don't.

Well, maybe drivers are not required, but what about all that SET BLASTER stuff? I thought that was necessary.

The mouse, on the other hand, is almost always used through a driver by DOS programs. Booting DOS seems to clobber the INT33 vector to this driver.

This is interesting, I've tried using MS Mouse Driver v11, and it doesn't find a mouse under DOSBox. So I used something called TRMouse v9.01, and it did work. However, the mouse worked only in some games (Maniac, SQ3, Big Red Adventure (fortunately!)), but didn't work in others (QFG3, Countdown). Is there a better mouse driver I can use under DOSBox?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    32.82 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 13 of 35, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SirGraham wrote:

Yeah, I finally set ems and xms to false, and then HIMEM.SYS and EMM386.EXE were loaded fine, and the game ran quite flawlessly (although some parts were way to slow unless I raised the CPU Cycles to ~20,000, and I have a P4 2.8GHz!)

The CPU cycles are an absolute value, not relative to your processor speed. Even on a 280 GHz processor you'd need to raise CPU cycles.

SirGraham wrote:

Well, maybe drivers are not required, but what about all that SET BLASTER stuff? I thought that was necessary.

For a couple of programs it is. Many ask for the values in their installation routine though. Some can even find the values automatically by probing for the card; that can have negative side-effects though if there is something else at the probed address.

SirGraham wrote:

Is there a better mouse driver I can use under DOSBox?

Good question, I'm also looking for one.

tearex

Reply 14 of 35, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. mouse:
a) try the mouse driver from here:
Der Patrizier: Mouse Problems
b) or try ctmouse
http://cutemouse.sourceforge.net/

2. ems:
try adding this parameter FRAME=E000 in the emm386.exe line

Reply 15 of 35, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

and disable umb in dosbox.conf

The paramater D=64... what does it do actually ? it sounds like a dma buffer parameter or so.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 16 of 35, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From the EMM386.EXE help entry in DOS 6.22:

D=nnn
Specifies how many kilobytes of memory should be reserved for buffered direct memory access (DMA). Discounting floppy-disk DMA, this value should reflect the largest DMA transfer that will occur while EMM386 is active. Valid values for nnn are in the range 16 through 256. The default value is 32.

tearex

Reply 17 of 35, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
robertmo wrote:

ems:
try adding this parameter FRAME=E000 in the emm386.exe line

I wonder, why is that so? Given that D000 is by far the most common location for the page frame, shouldn't dosbox keep that area free for this purpose if you say ems=false and umb=false?

tearex