VOGONS

First post, by Oberth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everone

Not a regular poster but do play with Dosbox often and normally the forums provide most answers but this ones got me.

I've been using ykhwong's builds of dosbox for a while and noticed the physfs support which recently turned up which is a great addition to the program but as yet have been unable to make it work. I've tried mounting the zip as per the instructions and notes both here and at sourceforge with just a zip and a dir/zip combo and dosbox reckons its all mounted but whenever I type 'dir c:\' I get a no files found reply. I've also remade the zip with various progs and compression just in case that was it.

Has anyone one got it working yet if so am I being a dunce and missing something (a dll or somesuch) or is it still generally a non working as yet feature.

As always looking forward to any replies 😁

Reply 1 of 10, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, it doesn't properly work in my build though I used the latest svn of physfs.
I'm considering to use older 'zip mount patch' that worked formerly.
(But I'm not sure if that works in the latest cvs of dosbox)

Reply 2 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I haven't tried physfs out recently but I remember that I wasn't able to view the contents of the zip's (although they mounted fine) if I used "Deflate64" instead of just "deflate" for compression. Som make sure you use "deflate". This was with 7-zip.

I'll see if I can test this again tonight but that was the only issue I ever had.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nah, not .7z archive. I use 7-zip to make .zip archives since it uses the best compression.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 10, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ykhwong, it must be something strange in your build. I keep the patch up-to-date, and it works fine here. You might want to test a build using only the physfs-patch to see if it's some interaction with another patch that breaks things.

Reply 6 of 10, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, I've just tried to apply only your patch to compile and test my build with zip mount feature (physfs). -> Result is the same.

Last edited by ykhwong on 2006-04-05, 11:03. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 7 of 10, by Oberth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your replies guys (was getting worried I was going mad for a while)

I would love to see this feature fully working as at the mo I have to have a script to unpack the archive and then manually addin any saved data then muck around with a post run script to tidy everything up where as this would solve that in one hit.

Good work moe for making the patch and hopefully yk's build will one day be able to support it 😁

Reply 8 of 10, by Kronuz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wanted to start using physfs the other day, and it wasn't working... exact same symptoms you all describe here... so, I dug into it a little and I found a bug in the physfs patch which rendered it useless in windows:

file: src/dos/drive_physfs.cpp
line: ~74

content:

if (strlen(basedir) > strlen(name)) strcpy(name,basedir);

should be:

if (strlen(basedir) > strlen(name)) {
strcpy(name,basedir);
strreplace(name,'\\','/');
}

Kronuz
"Time is of the essence"