VOGONS

DosBox Dead?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by zeroth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the latest cvs build is from 2003?

did the developers die or something? why has development halted on this project, and how can I jion the development team? 😀

Reply 1 of 21, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Development has not halted at all. There haven't been any official releases, though. You'll find many CVS builds by searching the forums. Also, a release candidate for an official 0.65 version is currently being tested.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 6 of 21, by zeroth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

then again, I have a hard time trusting sourceforge.nets activity percentage system. I'm the leader and only developer of the project Shade, and I havent touched that source in months, but it claims my activity percentile for last week was 97%. though it says overall percentage is 3%. 0 cvs adds and commits? thats wrong too. its a little shakey I think.

Reply 9 of 21, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:

http://pcnwstage.phys.rug.nl/dosboxcvs.txt

all changes to the dosbox cvs since 0.63

Maybe the main page needs a little news item saying "We're not dead!" and saying that many changes have occured in the CVS (show the log in a link) and then state that users need to be patient for DOSBox 0.65 😁 I'm sure that would solve any wrong ideas.

Reply 10 of 21, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I don't get it. Really. It's not like there has been a release in November 2004 or several status reports on the homepage since then OR just browsing this part of the forum answers this question.
Really.
At what site did you look to get the impression that nothing has been done since 2003?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 21, by zeroth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:
I don't get it. Really. It's not like there has been a release in November 2004 or several status reports on the homepage since […]
Show full quote

I don't get it. Really. It's not like there has been a release in November 2004 or several status reports on the homepage since then OR just browsing this part of the forum answers this question.
Really.
At what site did you look to get the impression that nothing has been done since 2003?

oh my god, November 2004! its not like march 2006 is just a day away or anything... more than a year since a release? The general rule with Open Source Software is to release as often as possible, so as to get bug reports. all these changes going into cvs for the past year arent being tested by anyone not using CVS, and that could hurt that project when the next release comes out.

Also, there is no reports of progress on the main page. theres some info about howmany times its been downloaded, what its been ported to, etc. nothing about progress. No one should have to browse forums just to find out why there hasn't been a release in over a year.

Anyway, I'm not really sure where I found that the last cvs build is from 2003. I can't seem to figure out where I got that information

Reply 12 of 21, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

uhhh, those who test Open Source software know to get the latest CVS. That's why it's there.

Those who don't get the official versions and don't really "test" the software.

They report "My X game doesn't work! FIX IT". "That's 90% of the reports right there....real helpful huh?"

I do agree that there should be better reporting about progress to the unknowledgeable public but for everyone else who knows Open Source it's about as obvious as sticking your head outside and noticing that the sun is shining.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 13 of 21, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would also have to agree that it's been much too long since the last release, and there haven't been enough updates on the home page. It's now to the point where even Qbix and Harekiet are recommending that regular users try CVS builds to resolve issues.

I think they need a communications director (and no, I'm not volunteering!) to handle news updates and release packaging, so they can continue to focus on development.

Reply 14 of 21, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

oh my god, November 2004! its not like march 2006 is just a day away or anything... more than a year since a release? The general rule with Open Source Software is to release as often as possible, so as to get bug reports. all these changes going into cvs for the past year arent being tested by anyone not using CVS, and that could hurt that project when the next release comes out.

Again, I don't get it. All your ramblings seem to me like you haven't really informed yourself before posting. Latest CVS release 2003? WTF?
Just reading the first post in the forum you posted should have informed you a bit more.
And where do you get the rule that open source should release as often as possible?
I'm in two open source projects on SF and one hasn't even released anything yet. I'd say the general rule should be that open source should have binary snapshots availlable for those who dare run CVS. IF you had looked into the development forum you'd noticed that CVS IS being tested by people and especially and more important it is tested by people who are good bug reporters.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 15 of 21, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, the classic OSS mantra is indeed "release early, release often". It's one of the main advantages, being able to tap into the development process at any time. IMHO that's what DOSBox does: CVS builds are stable most of the time and are updated about weekly. It's just not done like a regular release, since end users benefit much less than developers/informed beta testers. OTOH, since CVS builds are quite stable, I've already said (in another thread) that a monthly snapshot release would be useful.

Reply 16 of 21, by zeroth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:
Again, I don't get it. All your ramblings seem to me like you haven't really informed yourself before posting. Latest CVS releas […]
Show full quote

Again, I don't get it. All your ramblings seem to me like you haven't really informed yourself before posting. Latest CVS release 2003? WTF?
Just reading the first post in the forum you posted should have informed you a bit more.
And where do you get the rule that open source should release as often as possible?
I'm in two open source projects on SF and one hasn't even released anything yet. I'd say the general rule should be that open source should have binary snapshots availlable for those who dare run CVS. IF you had looked into the development forum you'd noticed that CVS IS being tested by people and especially and more important it is tested by people who are good bug reporters.

Don't post if you're not going to bother following the conversation. I've already explained all of what you've just said. Your hostility is starting to annoy me.

Reply 17 of 21, by zeroth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

I think they need a communications director (and no, I'm not volunteering!) to handle news updates and release packaging, so they can continue to focus on development.

I wouldn't mind helping with posting news on the site or packaging if thats really a hastle for the development team. I guess this is the wrong place to ask though.

Reply 18 of 21, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Don't post if you're not going to bother following the conversation.

Thank god it's not your decision when I post.

I've already explained all of what you've just said.

Nope, certainly not all.

Your hostility is starting to annoy me.

good