User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
japheth wrote:

> Not sure if the HXGUI is going to be used by anyone for any real-world
> purposes
I wanted to run DosBox in DOS!

So, was the HXGUI made mainly for DOSBOX? 😀 Nice. In any case it is very good achivement, if I had an old DOS computer, I would certainly be glad to use it... As written in that Milliways thread - it can be quite usefull for older DOS computers (by increasing their compatibility significantly).
I would never belive that such a Windows emulation in DOS is possible...

It is just a pity that there is no universal solution for sound when running DOSBOX in DOS (modern sound card do not bother with providing SoundBlaster compatibility in DOS), but that is something which cannot be solved.

Mirek

Reply 22 of 25, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm, the Sound Blaster Extigy connects via USB. There are USB drivers out there. If someone were to bother to write a driver to access that sound card in DOS then that would be the solution for all computers with a PCI slot (assuming that USB1/2 controllers work in P1/P2 computers). Any computer below that would be compatible with an SoundBlaster just fine....or they could just buy an SB Live!/Audigy. Those are like a dime a dozen. (ok...mabye not that cheap).

Of course I don't see people rushing out to buy another sound card just for old DOS games or to upgrade their older computers. (Not all people are as crazy as us...unfortunately.).

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 23 of 25, by japheth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

> So, was the HXGUI made mainly for DOSBOX?

it was made to support SDL apps, and one of the first apps to test was qemu. After qemu worked, there was nothing to do to make dosbox running.

Another thing was hx running inside dosbox. This didn't work. Some issues are solved now so it works now to some degree (btw, is there a way to reliably detect inside a dos program that it runs in dosbox?)