VOGONS

First post, by Da_maniaC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

I have been experimenting a lot with DOS Games applications and i came across the same problem several times.
The sound which is well know to you of course.

Now, i have noticed that the dosbox emulator does a really fine job at emulating the sound, so i was wondering if it was possible to load dosbox its sound emulation or driver to use for a seperate application rather then the emulator itself. (Kinda like the way VDMSound works).

If this is not possible however; could you please tell me if a seperate sound emulator might be released in the future?

Thanks for any information.

(Since its not a real technical problem i did not bother posting my system specs, but believe me when i say that they are sufficient. 😉 ) .

http://www.zdaemon.org ZDaemon! A client/server port for Doom!

Reply 1 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not really sure what you're asking.

VDMSound is not a stand-alone sound emulator. It is a replacement for the sound emulation in the NTVDM and only works alongside of it.

I don't think what you are suggesting makes sense anyways, as the games drive the sound and thus CPU emulation is required to run the games in order for sound to be generated.

What you're probably looking for is a way to record the sound and play it back later? You can capture to WAv files any digitized sound, GUS music, and OPL music produced by DOSBox. You can also log raw OPL commands and play them back in Winamp using AdPlug. MIDI data can also be captured to a .MID file using an external program such as MIDI-OX or Cakewalk.

On a side note, DOSBox is open source and you have free access to the sound emulation code.

Reply 3 of 5, by Da_maniaC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, no thats not what i meant...

sorry for being unclear.

What i meant was using the DosBox sound emulation exactly the way VDMSound does it.

So i can start up a Dos application in XP instead of using DosBox and then use dosbox to emulate the sound.

I dont know if thats possible though.

The thing is, the sound emulation dosbox does comes across way better then any other.. but of course that could be due to the fact that it emulates the game in a better Dos enviroment. :\

http://www.zdaemon.org ZDaemon! A client/server port for Doom!

Reply 4 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Da_maniaC wrote:

The thing is, the sound emulation dosbox does comes across way better then any other.. but of course that could be due to the fact that it emulates the game in a better Dos enviroment. :\

Bingo!
You scored 100 points.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 5, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, VDMSound is probably as good as it gets for NTVDM (Windows 2K/XP command prompt) sound, as it has to work within the limitations of the NTVDM.

I thought someone has been working on an update, but I haven't heard anything for a long time.