VOGONS

Virtual PC / VMware saved state procedure

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by adventur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I would just like to inquire a bit about the fact that saved states may never be implemented under Dosbox

It has never been stated on this forum that DosBox will NEVER have saved state support.

If you read the WISH LIST thread (link in my signature) you will see that Saved State support is on the list....although it is on the NOT FOR THE FORSEEABLE FUTURE section. Even then though it's suprising how many NOT FOR THE FORSEEABLE FUTURE suggestions have been added to DosBox over the years......

Don't expect Saved State support for quite a long while tho (if ever), it is a good feature but nowhere near as important as other things. DosBox main goal is compatibility.....not helping you to cheat in your games. 😉

What may be possible is to use GameWizard or some other app in the future to implement saved states. The devs may be interested in getting those to work if it doesn't require much work to do.

since it is already a reality under Virtual PC & VMware, how do they manage to do this? is it overly complex?

I doubt they'll tell ya if you ask....their software isn't GPL and they make money off of it so there's no benefit to them in telling. It's much easier for VMWARE/VPC/VS anyways since they do not use the host filesystem for using files but rather their own image files. DosBox uses the host file system.

Now DosBox may be able to implement Saved States using the host filesystem using checksums so that users don't have to use disk images but who knows.

& would it be possible to use their code for Dosbox development?

Not unless they GPL their code.

EDITED BY DOSFREAK Ooops, I edited your post instead of quoting. Sorry!