VOGONS

First post, by sehh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

System: Athlon 64 3800+ Dual Core, 1GBram, Fedora Core 5 x86_64
Video card: Nvidia GeForce 6600 TurboCache PCI-Express

When running in windowed mode, everything is working fine.

When i try fullscreen, i get garbage. Here are a few combinations i've tried:

output=surface / fullresolution=original -> garbage
output=overlay / fullresolution=original -> garbage
output=opengl / fullresolution=original -> garbage
output=openglnb / fullresolution=original -> garbage

output=surface / fullresolution=1280x1024 -> small dosbox in middle of black screen (not scaled)
output=overlay / fullresolution=1280x1024 -> blank screen untill i move mouse, then dosbox appears full screen (scaled)
output=opengl / fullresolution=1280x1024 -> blank screen untill i move mouse, then dosbox appears full screen (scaled)
output=openglnb / fullresolution=1280x1024 -> blank screen untill i move mouse, then dosbox appears full screen (scaled)

A few notes:

1) by garbage, i mean that the screen is kinda zoomed in at a very low resolution and messed up (dosbox appears next to other windows).

2) when i get a blank screen, i can't make dosbox appear by typing. I need to move the mouse and dosbox appears right away. Waiting doesn't do anything. I also noticed that one of my logical cpus gets 100% cpu usage for that time period. I've no idea why fullscreen is related with the mouse this way...

3) not sure if this appeared in 0.65, haven't used dosbox in a while but i don't remember having these problems.

Any help would be appriciated.

--
sehh

Reply 1 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

sounds like your monitor doesn't like the original game resolutions.
Try 640x480 or 800x600 in full resolution.

The blank screen is indeed odd as well. But this might be happening of somehow DOSBox doesn't know that it went to fullscreen.
Did you try starting dosbox in fullscreen by specifying it in the configfile ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 13, by sehh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Qbix, i can't see why my monitor is the problem, it runs everything else without problems (other emulators like scummv, etc) at all resolutions, only dosbox has the above problems. To me it seems like X can't set the resolution properly.

I tried output=openglnb / fullresolution=800x600 but i had the same garbage effect.

All my tests have been performed with fullscreen=true in the config file, so dosbox starts fullscreen from the start.

Could this be due to Fedora Core 5? maybe some new incompatibility with Gnome or Xorg?

--
sehh

Reply 4 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

yeah Allright It can be X as well.
Hence my suggestion for the 640x480 mode.
(are these modelines present in your X config ?)

About the carbage. I don't have a clue. Did you try setting X to a different display depth ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 13, by sehh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got "Depth 16" and "Depth 24" and both of them have the following modes:

Modes "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600"
"640x480" "640x400" "512x384" "480x360" "400x300" "320x240" "320x200"

Is there anything else i can try?

--
sehh

Reply 8 of 13, by The Gnome

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I am having the exact same problem, and have very similar hardware.

AMD 64, with an nvidia 6600 GT. I'm running under XP Media Center.

I don't get the blank screens or the garbage, but when running in fullscreen, the screeen goes out of phase. Everything is shifted slightly up. The top of the screen is cut off, and appears at the bottom of the monitor.

Also, the graphics for the games I tested seemed very very low resolution. It might be the age of the game, but everything is less smooth than I would expect.

Everything else seems to work like a charm - great piece of software!

Reply 9 of 13, by sehh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Old games are indeed using very low resolutions.

The trick here is to use a scaler. Edit your dosbox configuration and find the option "scaler=" its by default set to normal2x which doesn't do much. I'm using advinterp3x.

The scalers offered in dosbox by default aren't good enough. One of the best ones is "hq2x" (or something like that). Unfortunately in order to get that you need to patch and compile dosbox yourself or find an already patched version.

Now, back to our problem:

Its obviously a problem in dosbox since this happens under Linux as well as Windoze.

--
sehh

Reply 10 of 13, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sehh wrote:

The trick here is to use a scaler. Edit your dosbox configuration and find the option "scaler=" its by default set to normal2x which doesn't do much. I'm using advinterp3x.

Have you tried not using that scaler? Set it to none and then try.

In fact when you say 'zoomed in' do you mean your whole monitor is zoomed but its still technically in windowed mode? You have an LCD don't you? I think you are going too high with the resolution using that scaler, no matter what you choose its being multiplied by '3x' and going out of range. LCD monitors will make the screen scroll when this happens (in windows, in linux I think you have to use the keyboard to scroll it)

Try setting no scaler, and at '640x480'. If that works, try raising the resolution.

Reply 12 of 13, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Am I right though? Do you have an LCD? If so - try setting dosbox to the native resolution of your LCD, maybe your model doesn't support lower-resolutions.

Also try fullfixed and aspect ratio correction. Try one, then the other and then both. It forced dosbox to fill out a resoultion you pick, so if you choose your native screen resolution and force it, it has no choice but to work.

Reply 13 of 13, by sehh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes i have two LCDs, tried them both. They all support lower resolutions, scaling etc.

As i've already stated in my original post that opened this thread, only when i force a specific resolution it works.

I believe it has something to do with the way SDL changes the resolution, its not related to my monitor.

--
sehh