VOGONS

First post, by Kronuz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, I've been checking the source code as it ended with the scalers optimizations Harekiet put in the code. I'm glad he used some of my ideas to make DOSBox a lot faster, and I gladly found that though some optimizations I had thought are not there, most of what I suggested is; even when some of those optimizations that were left out could gain some extra speed, the design Harekiet ended up with is great, it took me some time to fully understand how he implemented stuff, but I think it's a clean design and truly makes the code consistent to his style; because not everything is about speed optimization 😉

Also, I noticed he changed some things too much to be able to use the Hq2x scaler as it currently was, and as I love to play using Hq2x, I decided to implement a version that does work under the new 0.65. I'm attaching the patch here for anyone who wants to add Hq2x support to DOSBox 0.65.

The algorithm I'm using is the HiEnd3D Hq2x (the true and original Hq2x, with some borrowed stuff from scummvm) so this version should be more accurate than the older Hq2x. This is the first version, I just finished the implementation and it probably can still take a lot of optimizations for the enthusiasts to work with.

There are two good news about this new scaler: one is that it should work with higher modes as well as with 8 bits paletted. The old Hq2x only worked with paletted sources and I'm guessing than that, along the fact that it wasn't really "true Hq2x", were the reasons it was never accepted as official. Hopefully this new implementation will eventually meet the standards and make it to the cvs, I honestly believe Hq2x is a great scaler for playing. The other good news is that I also added Hq3x support 😀

Please leave your comments and suggestions.
Kronuz.

Attachments

• Filename
    hqNx.diff
    File size
    84.27 KiB
    Downloads
    214 downloads
    File comment
    Hq2x scaler for 0.65
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Kronuz on 2006-05-10, 18:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Kronuz
"Time is of the essence"

Reply 1 of 9, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for your great patch, Krounz.😀
New hq3x scaler is very impressing.

I found that there's a typo in your patch.
in dosbox.cpp : interp2x -> should be advinterp3x

In cvs source

Supported are none,normal2x,normal3x,advmame2x,advmame3x,advinterp2x,advinterp3x,tv2x,tv3x,rgb2x,rgb3x,scan2x,scan3x.

In your patch

Supported are none,normal2x,normal3x,advmame2x,advmame3x,advinterp2x,interp2x,tv2x,tv3x,rgb2x,rgb3x,scan2x,scan3x.
Last edited by ykhwong on 2006-05-10, 17:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 9, by Kronuz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found that there's a typo in your patch.
in dosbox.cpp : interp2x -> should be advinterp3x

hmm.. that must have been there from the cvs I got, I don't recall changing that... Good thing the patch seems to be working 😀

Kronuz
"Time is of the essence"

Reply 3 of 9, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, it works fine and fast.
It seems that you downloaded dosbox.cpp (Revision 1.98 )
In Revision 1.99, the typo was fixed by qbix.

The current anonymous CVS seems not to be updated (you can find the reasons in some other threads), so it would be a good idea to download http://pcnwstage.phys.rug.nl/dosboxcvs.tgz

Reply 5 of 9, by Kronuz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The current anonymous CVS seems not to be updated (you can find the reasons in some other threads), so it would be a good idea to download http://pcnwstage.phys.rug.nl/dosboxcvs.tgz

...the link gives an empty tgz file 🙁 ... what did you say it's wrong with the cvs? true, I haven't been able to update my source tree. What are the "other threads" referring the issue? 😜

by the way, ykhwong, what seems to be the problem with PhysFS in your windows build? do you have a patch with the most current drive_PhysFS patch? the one I got from sourceforge rejects too much against the current cvs... 🙁

Kronuz
"Time is of the essence"

Reply 6 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Anonymous CVS access is down since middle or beginning of April (Sourceforge has problems with their CVS servers and they are scheduled to be replaced). Up until recently that link above was the only way fro non-developers to get the current CVS. Recently developer's access to CVS is down, too, so that link is empty 🙁

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 9, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got the latest physfs source via svn and installed it.
As soon as the latest zip mount patch created by moe appeared in sourceforge, I tried it and it worked. However, the only problem is that 'dir' does not show the list of directories and files in a directory that was mounted with zip. People can run executable files in the directory.
I have updated zip mount patch (as well as some other patches) against the current cvs many times because the contents of dosbox cvs source are changing too often.

As Dominus said, developer's access to CVS is down now. (empty)
There is a link to download the latest cvs source. (temporary)
http://ykhwong.x-y.net/dosboxcvs.rar

Last edited by ykhwong on 2006-05-11, 13:06. Edited 1 time in total.