VOGONS

First post, by biosdi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys... Sorry but after reading lots of posts I didn't find the solution:

I've downloaded dosbox 0.65 but I've read that doesn't support printing on lpt1 printers.
In this forum I've read that now it is possible print on lpt1...

how can I do it? What must I download to allow the printing?

Thanks a lot!!

Alessandro

My configuration:

windows 200O server
P4
512 Ram
Dosbox 0.65

Reply 2 of 12, by biosdi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I install the official version, then I put in the original directory files from "20060515.rar" (overwriting existing files),then... what I have to do with http://home.arcor.de/h-a-l-9000/ site?

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Alessandro

Reply 3 of 12, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

You misunderstood it. You are supposed to use just one build, not both of them together... So let's just take 20060515.rar...
Unpack it (RAR is packed file) and read documentation (there is directory DOC or whatever it is called, I do not remember).
Also see DOSBOX.CONF - there are some settings for printer (open the file in normal Notepad - it is a simple text file).

Mirek

Reply 6 of 12, by biosdi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've already read it, but I don't understand one thing:

If the version in 20060515.rar already allows to print on lpt1, why I have to download h a l 9000 version?

...sorry for my hard mind... 😢

thanks

Reply 7 of 12, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
biosdi wrote:

I've already read it, but I don't understand one thing:
If the version in 20060515.rar already allows to print on lpt1, why I have to download h a l 9000 version?
thanks

Use 20060515.rar if you need printing...
HAL's version is needed only if you need direct access to the *real parallel port* on your computer...
I guess you need just printing...

In any case:
I REPEAT: YOU NEED JUST ONE VERSION ! So let's use something and return only when having problems

Mirek

Reply 8 of 12, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

They are 2 different builds. You need only one. If 20060515.rar works for you there is no need to get anything else.

The one from Ykhwong emulates a dot-matrix-printer (Epson ESC/P).
It can:
- print to picture file
- print that picture to any Windows printer
You want that when you don't have a printer compatible with your DOS application or don't really have to directly access the printer.

Use my build when you want to access the parallel port directly. I.e. if you connect some weird non-printer stuff to the port or your application does not work with the ESC/P printer or it does something special with the printer or the other method fails for some unknown reason.

(I think I will join the two patches some time... but not now.)

1+1=10

Reply 9 of 12, by biosdi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok. Now I understood.

I've tried the version in the 20060515.rar and the printing is ok... But now there is another problem: 😢

The application I want to use in dos enviroment requires a device connected on LPT1 (between the computer parallel connector and the printer plug) in order to start (it's a sort of security check). With the 20060515.rar version it isn't recognized (so the program doesn't start) but the printing process is ok, with the hal9000 version the device is recognized (so the program starts) but the printing process cannot be executed...

Is there a way to enable the lpt1 to recognize the security device and allow the printing process at the same time??

Thanks again for your precious help!!

Reply 10 of 12, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Well, you need a CVS with both patches applied... I am not sure it exists at the moment. If you cannot compile it yourselves, you must wait till somebody does...

Mirek