VOGONS

First post, by tw261

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've used dosbox on several other systems before without issue but it has been a while since I've installed it on a Linux system, so bare with me if I am missing something obvious...

I just installed FC5 on an older PC and then installed dosbox 0.65 with yum (command was "yum install dosbox") but when I try to run dosbox either from a command prompt or from the Gnome Applications->Accessories->DOSBox menu, I get the same result: I only get a single dosbox window that is blank and appears to be hung. It accepts no input and the only way to close it is to "killall -9 dosbox"

Thinking that perhaps this was a problem with this package, I did a search on the net and found no similar issue. I did find people complaining about dosbox causing a kernel fault that killed their OS, but not just a hung dosbox in FC5. So, I decided to compile from source. My compiled app has the same issue...

Am I doing something wrong? Did I skip a step? maybe I need to have a dosbox.conf file with the right settings? I've tried a few things and keep getting the same result. I seem to remember this happening to me a couple years ago when I first tried to run .60 or .58 (I think) on Windows but I can't remember what I did to get it working...

Please help! If this is an FC5 issue, I'd like to know soon before I bang my head against this much longer. If I'm just missing a step, someone please point out my stupidity. 😀

Thanks!

-Tim

Reply 1 of 2, by tw261

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK -- I think this was a kernel mismatch. FC5 just came out with kernel 2.6.17-1.2145 and when I first instaleld and updated it was at 2139... 2139 seems to break DOSBox 0.65. Anyway, updating to 2145 seems to have solved the issue.

Reply 2 of 2, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

glad to hear that they released a fixed kernel.
We had multile reports about this bug.
(it was in the kernel oss sound implementation somewhere)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!