VOGONS

Modem issue

Topic actions

First post, by Zorix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone.

I noticed an issue with one particular game, Transport Tycoon.

an extra character is sent to the modem at the end of the string.

Command sent to modem: ->◄<-

I have looked thru the code and I think I could possibly remove that before sending the dial command, but I have never seen such a character. Is it a Cr or Lf?

This particular error came about when i tried to just give the modem and empty init string, but it puts it at the end of every command. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Reply 1 of 12, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Use IPX (or is that only in Deluxe version?).
Anyway I'm working on a serial port improvement that should solve a lot of problems. I might even make it availible today...

1+1=10

Reply 2 of 12, by Zorix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
IPX is not available for this game, only modem or serial. And I am not sure how to make a serial connection between dosbox machines. Do you happen to know if that extra code being inserted is some sort of linefeed character? If I could identify the character I can filter it out, but copy/paste only reveals it as a ? instead of whatever that is. Thanks for your help.

Reply 5 of 12, by Zorix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright yes, it is the DC1 XON character. I was able to find it within the character map of Textpad. Would filtering these characters eliminate the problem or is this still going to be an issue with how the data is sent or recieved? Thanks.

Reply 9 of 12, by Zorix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have found your site, I don't understand why all your improvements are not included into one build? Looks like much of it could be combined. Also, why not submit to be included in releases? Seems like you have many many good improvements but selecting your build over the official could mean that there is not as many fixes in other areas. Thanks!

Reply 10 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

His patches (and many others) are submitted but it takes times (sometimes a long time) to become officially a part of the CVS.

Alot of this is testing of the patch, alot of it is making the patch compliant with the CVS, and alot of it is the author taking their own sweet time working on the patch. 😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 12, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> why all your improvements are not included into one build?

Too lazy 😉
Ykhwong has most of the patches included in his build.

Hmm you reminded me to throw out some old stuff from that page...

1+1=10

Reply 12 of 12, by Zorix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thought you might be interested to know, I made some modifications to the softmodem.cpp to remove the control codes, a connection is now possible but the game does not get any further.