VOGONS

First post, by tornavis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I have been testing some CD based games in Gentoo GNU/Linux and I've found out that some games, such as Little Big Adventure 1 and Warcraft II, makes DOSBox 0.65 crash with a 'segmentation fault' error while loading the game if the CD is mounted. They work fine if instead of mounting the CD I mount a CD image.

Another game, Alone in the dark 1, can't be installed because it doesn't recognize the CD (Insert disk number 1 😖), but it works fine if instead of mounting the CD I mount a CD image.
Once installed, the game freezes (black screen) at loading if I play with the CD image mounted. Playing with the CD works fine 😖

The major problem that confuses me, is that these games work fine in DOSBox 0.65 windows version 😲
Is it just me or this happens to someone else? I tried compiling both portage's version and the original source code.

EDIT:
Just tried Debian unstable in qEmu, apt-getted dosbox 0.65, and tried the same games.

Little Big Adventure and Warcraft II, instead of crashing DOSBox with a segmentation fault, the game cd's couldn't be recognized (CD not found).

Alone in the dark recognized the CD in the install process, but couldn't find it while trying to play the game.

Last edited by tornavis on 2006-09-03, 11:03. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 3, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Warcraft 2 works fine for recognizing the cd for me. Just used '-t cdrom' for the mount. Slight tearing for the initial video, and the game is slightly slow but not unplayable. Probably just my computer/settings.

Don't have the other games so I can't say about them. Haven't any problems with recognizing the cd for other games. Could just be the ones I've been using though.

I'd worry about damaged cds or even a drive, but if you don't have that problem in Windows, that rules it out. And if you can make an image from the cds and use that, it definitely rules it out.

Do the audio tracks for the Warcraft 2 cd play if you try it from a cd player under Linux?
Have you tried playing around with the mount settings for the cds using the ones from the README?
Do you get any error message in /var/log/messages (may be specific to my distro) or from dmesg when you mount the cds under Linux?

Reply 3 of 3, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm that sounds like a bug afterall.
(one that only shows in optimized code)
like a unterminated string or so.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!