VOGONS

First post, by CarlKenner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I added new functionality to the "Inc Hue" and "Dec Hue" buttons for normal CGA modes. These buttons normally change the TV hue settings when used in CGA's 16-colour "Composite" mode. They are by default Alt+F11 and F11.

In 4 colour mode I made "Inc Hue" cycle between the 6 different cga palettes, in the order:
cyan, magenta, lt grey
red, green, brown
cyan, red, lt grey
lt cyan, lt magenta, white
lt red, lt green, yellow
lt cyan, lt red, white

And I made "Dec Hue" cycle between the 16 background colours, 16 foreground colours, or 16 overscan colours in 4-colour, 2-colour and text modes respectively.

In CGA composite mode they still do the same thing they did before.

The problem is that the SO-CALLED "0.65 source code" (unlike the actual 0.65 build) doesn't work in any mode except "surface". DirectDraw mode gives an error on startup and won't work. Also it won't run with the SDL.DLL file that comes with the 0.65 build (I use a DLL from a later CVS version, one from the SDL website or the one we built with the 0.65 source). You don't have to take my word for it, ask anyone.

Is there any way we can get the REAL 0.65 source code? Or some source code that actually works???

Reply 1 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the DOSBox code is the same.
the sdl code might be a bit different.
the 0.65 dosbox source is the same source I used to build the executable that you download.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 8, by CarlKenner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I saw the other message now 😀. I'll have a go at my SDL code.

Any feedback on my CGA palette changing idea? I have it implemented and working. Does my palette ordering make sense? Or is a different order better? Perhaps put cyan, red, grey between cyan magenta grey and green red white.

I discovered "Adventure In Serenia" does have its own Palette changing key (F2) which also modifies the graphics to fit the new palette, so my hack wasn't as useful for that as I thought. Although it still looks much better when I cycle it to Palette 5, instead of the default Palette 2 (red and brown look too similar).

Of course this change is for people who want to stay true to CGA.

I would also like to see some way of changing the colour palettes for CGA and EGA modes to ANY of the 16 million colours. For example have a section in the .conf file for setting the palette. This would sacrifice authenticity for the sake of making old games look better. Perhaps by setting the new colours for 16 ega colours, and then CGA using the appropriate colours of those based on its palette settings. Maybe something like this:

[palette16]
black =0x000000
blue =0x000055
green =0x005500
cyan =0x005555
red =0x550000
magenta=0x550055
etc.

Which would affect CGA,PCjr,Tandy,EGA (and perhaps the default 16 colours in 16-colour VGA modes before VGA changes the palette)?

I haven't implemented that part yet.

Reply 3 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the different cga pallete might be interresting.
having a configfile option isn't discussable though. (I'm conservative about it)

Reply 4 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

btw the only reason the hue control is in dosbox:
because it was present in the real case as well and certain games require you to calibrate the hue.

Aside from that we really like the authentic part of our emulation..

Reply 5 of 8, by CarlKenner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How come?

Well, if we can't change the config files, is an authentic cga palette changer more or less useful than some sort of generic palette changer that cycles through various different sets of 16-colours (for example like toggling between more amiga-ish colours or ega-ish colours like in Sierra AGI emulators, or perhaps emulating a green-coloured monitor or an orange-coloured monitor).

And is it OK to enable those keys on other machine-types, or should they be kept cga-only (I'm guessing later era games might use F11 and F12 already).

Reply 6 of 8, by CarlKenner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually my CGA monitor had a button that let you change the colours. It would go from normal to various monochrome shades like green and orange, and it also included some that weren't monochrome but gave it a coloured tinge.

While my current palette changer isn't an authentic feature on any old hardware, it could in theory (and probably was) implemented as a TSR by some people. In fact maybe I should look for one and try that.

By the way, I'm using DOSBox to play ancient DOS games with modern speech recognition and a virtual reality glove, so I'm not going for the super-authentic style. See my Programmable Input Emulator at http://carl.kenner.googlepages.com/glovepie

I got Adventure In Serenia working completely with speech. Now I can actually say "look behind the rock" or "throw the rock at the snake" rather than having to type "look rock" or "throw rock".

But the main game I'm using speech recognition with is the original vga X-Wing. Unfortunately I'm having trouble getting the simulated key sequences to work reliably when the frame-rate drops too low, so it would be nice if I could make my input emulator interface more directly with DOSBox at some stage. But that is changing the subject...

Reply 7 of 8, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, I added new functionality to the "Inc Hue" and "Dec Hue" buttons for normal CGA modes. These buttons normally change the TV hue settings when used in CGA's 16-colour "Composite" mode.

The problem is that the 16-color composite "mode" isn't so much a "mode" as it is just how normal as well as tweaked CGA modes look on a composite color monitor. (Wikipedia article)

This is relevant because some gamesuse the normal 4-color mode 4 expecting composite artifacting (which is not supported by DosBox, incidentially). Since you mentioned "Adventure in Serenia", here is how it is supposed to look with a composite monitor (last three pictures).

If in this mode the "Inc Hue" and "Dec Hue" buttons change the palette instead, their normal hue-changing function would be lost.

I got Adventure In Serenia working completely with speech. Now I can actually say "look behind the rock" or "throw the rock at the snake" rather than having to type "look rock" or "throw rock".

This should be fun with Leisure Suit Larry.