VOGONS

First post, by CarlKenner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I've been playing the original X-Wing with DOSBox 0.65, and it works well (although with a low frame-rate sometimes).

But I tried it with a later CVS build with all the knobs and whistles (D3D, menu, etc). And the joystick no longer works right.

At least I think it is the joystick. The mouse and joystick both control the ship, and both control the cursor.

In the dynamic core, it drifts up and to the left (I think that was the direction, I can't remember exactly). I then press Alt+C to calibrate the joystick again in-game, but the same problem still occurs! It also drifts in that direction in some of the other cores, but less so. In the normal core it doesn't seem to drift, but there is no dead-zone.

In DOSBox 0.65 there is a significant deadzone and it doesn't drift. I can't remember whether there was a deadzone in the original, I'm guessing there must have been, but I know it didn't drift.

I can't find the place I saw it on the internet though. But if someone wants to test with this game I can email them a copy for testing purposes only. Anyway it is the very original 320x200 DOS only X-Wing game, with the original B-Wing expansion pack (but not Imperial Pursuit).

Reply 2 of 9, by CarlKenner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't. But I assume the new joystick code, or the new dynamic core code or whatever is causing the problem will end up in a 0.66 version at some point, and people will want it to be working by then, so I thought this information would help spot the bugs. Also the extra speed from the other features would make the game more playable, so I don't want to be stuck with 0.65 forever.

Reply 4 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the timed joystick stuff isn't in the cvs yet and so isn't the mappable stuff.
I wonder what causes the problems then

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 9, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

He mentioned about "later CVS build with D3D, menu. the joystick no longer works right" on this thread, so I thought my build had such a problem. I probably misunderstood what he said. I found that I made a trivial mistake in modifying the joystick part, anyway.