VOGONS

First post, by Pan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I compile new copies of Dosbox for Linux quite regularly in order to make use of any new features or add any patches that I may need for specific games. I have very few problems doing that to date. However, there is a recent set of patches that I have applied that would be useful to other people in a specific gaming community. Unfortunately most of them do not use Linux, so I need to compile a Windows copy from the same source.

This is where my problems begin as I'm unfamiliar with compiling anything I didn't write under Windows. I tried to follow the guide available at this website http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php? … =BuildingDOSBox, but I ran into problems on step 5 (I didn't compile SDL on step 4 because I planned to use the Dosbox version). The problem is that under Linux, I would run the autogen.sh file to generate the files neccessary to run ./configure next. Unfortunately, things aren't so easy under Windows. I get the following output after running ./autogen.sh

--- Start of output ---

Generating build information using aclocal, autoheader, automake, autoconf
This may take a while ...

./autogen.sh: aclocal: command not found
./autogen.sh: autoheader: command not found
./autogen.sh: automake: command not found
./autogen.sh: autoconf: command not found

Now you are ready to run ./configure
You can also run ./configure --help for extra features to enable/disable.

--- End of output ---

It doesn't take much of a genius to diagnose the problem here. But resolving it is more complex. I obviously need to install an autoconf package for Windows, but which one. More to the point, how do I integrate it into the MSys environment so I can compile Dosbox? I guess I might be able to compile a Windows copy from within Linux, but I know nothing about cross-compiling presently 😀

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks

Reply 2 of 4, by Pan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, that did occur to me but I didn't think it would work 😀 But it got me further anyway 😀 Thanks for that suggestion.

The problem I have now relates to the configure stage. The script is unable to find SDL, specifically sdl-config, which is not surprising as it isn't installed on this machine. However, the tutorial I mentioned above notes that you can use the DLL files found in the official Dosbox package to sidestep the extra SDL steps. How does this work in practice? The guide isn't clear on this element. As far as I can tell, you must surely need more of the SDL suite available to compile Dosbox in the first place?

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks

Reply 3 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

as you figured out yourself, yes, you need SDL for compiling DosBox. Grab the development stuff labeled for mingw in the sdl download site. OR better compile it yourself.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 4, by Pan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for that. I tried the pre-compiled SDL development binaries, but couldn't get it to work, so I compiled my own. Had some other problems as well, but finally managed to get it working 😀

The wiki documentation for Windows compilation is pretty vague and out-of-date. It could use some updating really. I would take care of it myself, but I'm involved in so many other things I'm trying not to take on new things now 😀

Thanks to everybody who helped me get it going.