VOGONS

First post, by A.Lupin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been enjoying ykhwong's DOSBox build with some very interesting features, especially the GLIDE support. TR1 runs great on my laptop, and I thought nothing could beat this combo any further.....

Then I found Glidos, with its terrific (from screenshots, that is) support of high-res texture replacement. I tried all possible dll/ovl replacement, and I just could not get it working 🙁

Has anyone tried Glidos with DOSBox before, especially using its texture replacement? If so and you made it work successfully, could you please share your configuration with me? Thanks a lot in advance!!

Reply 1 of 6, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
A.Lupin wrote:

Has anyone tried Glidos with DOSBox before?

Huh?

Both are DOS emulators. Glidos is specifically targeted at DOS games which are Glide compatible. It also supports the Tomb Raider high resolution texture project; but that has nothing to do with DOS or Glide, it's a Glidos feature. You can't replace the original TR textures by using DOSBox.

Reply 2 of 6, by A.Lupin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not necessarily true. My speculation is that Glodos is watching the texture manipulation functions in GLIDE and does the replacement magic. So if the GLIDE wrapper portion of Glidos could be used by ykhwong's DOSBox build, TR1 could have high-res inside DOSBox also.

I tried to run TR1 natively with VDMSound and Glidos inside XP, and the result is not very satisfactory. I would rather play it inside DOSBox in comparison. Nothing major. Just a personal taste.

Thanks!!

Reply 3 of 6, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The wrapper part is the same in both DOSBox glide and Glidos (it is opensource OpenGlide wrapper). The texture replacement is done in the ovl file. But you cannot change this file, since the ovl has to know it runs inside dosbox!
It would be possible to add high-res support to dosbox' ovl, but nobody is working on it...

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 4 of 6, by A.Lupin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the critical info, Gulikoza!! Now, if the trick is all done in .ovl, where could I get a copy of the source code? Let me give it a try 😁

Also, does anyone have any public information regarding the texture replacement inside Glidos?

Reply 5 of 6, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mmm, you're aware that there's a Glidos forum on this very board where you can ask your questions? Or are you afraid to post there? I think there is more to the texture replacement than the custom OVL library (eg. the texture folder structure, the equivalence files between TR versions...).

Remember Glidos is a closed source project, it's better to ask Paul before messing with the internals of his emulator (which his custom OVL is part of).