VOGONS

First post, by Dos-a-holic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Lately i've been playing some older games in dosbox 0.63. Just recently the application keeps locking up and crashes dosbox. My questions are, what, if any, updates/changes to version 0.65 and just overall, is it more reliable, better sound quality/more sound options, less crashing?

I always like using the latest updated version of any software, program etc., but in the past 2 years, i've found that older versions of pc programs were better than the newer versions. Anyone else using Dosbox 0.65?

Reply 2 of 4, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BTW, have you run a memory check on your PC? If older versions generally run more reliably on your system, it may be that you have a small hardware error and that the older versions are less resource intensive (taxing your computer less) so that the error doesn't become apparent. I've had that happen to me...

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 3 of 4, by Dos-a-holic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, system specs are, 2.0 GHZ P3 Intel, O/S is WinXP SP2, 768 MB system ram, on-board sound, 256 MB GEForce Asylum video card, DX 9.0c, Dosbox is on an 80 gig hd while the games are on the 200 gig hd. I did install 0.65 last nite, and it did not crash, while 0.63 would have crashed at certain points in the game.

Back in the mid 80's, on 5 1/4" floppy disk the game, The Amazing Spiderman was released. I can play this on Windows XP with sound as well on Dosbox. Just thought i'd mention that since that game is very old, and can play on XP.

Reply 4 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Back in the mid 80's, on 5 1/4" floppy disk the game, The Amazing Spiderman was released. I can play this on Windows XP with sound as well on Dosbox. Just thought i'd mention that since that game is very old, and can play on XP.

No one ever said that NO games run without sound on XP. It's just most games that have problems.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper