VOGONS

winbox

Topic actions

First post, by abyss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My last idea was dumb but i think their should be an early windows emulator as many games especially direct x 6 and lower have troubles running on new operating systems if you do not believe me than try playing nfs 2se with a brand new windows xp and over 512 mbram and see what happens. nfs2se has a strange problem running on computers with over 512 mbram and that is why none of my computers have over 512 mbram and in nfs high stakes i cannot play direct3d mode until i replace the direct x 6 files with direct x 7 files. Their are many other windows games that just won't run on a new operating system. Many windows games have no ways of running them on a new operating system.

Reply 1 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

VirtualPC, VMWare, Quemu(?), Bochs...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

ah, yes, true

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You will not see virtualization programs using host hardware until PCI Express 2.0 is out in full force and when WDDM 2.1 hardware/driver/OS support is released.

Vmware has the ability to do D3D for DX7+ IIRC but it doesn't work very well.

Usually any DX6 program has a software or glide mode anyways.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 13, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

abyss: If you mean windows versions as early as win3x. then dosbox could in fact already be called winbox ... It is able to run it.

Visit the end of the internet: www.groskreutz.de

Reply 9 of 13, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

on x86 Macs you have Darwine

Reply 10 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are some Wine windows binaries on sourceforge but I'm not sure what use they are.

I would like to see Wine working on Windows tho.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 13, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This isn't a Windows emulator, but I have heard about a project to recreate Windows.
http://www.reactos.org/
It's still very alpha, and is an OS in its own right instead of an emulator. They do offer a livecd version, so theoretically it might be possible to boot it from the cd and run Windows apps from it.
No idea if it supports directx yet (I suspect not) or how it will turn out. Something to keep an eye on.

Reply 12 of 13, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dougdahl wrote:

This isn't a Windows emulator, but I have heard about a project to recreate Windows.
http://www.reactos.org/

They aim to recreate Windows XP, so anything not running on XP will not run on ReactOS, probably. It's a nice attempt though.

JAL

Reply 13 of 13, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Currently they are struggling to get it stable at all (partial kernel rewrite causes lot's of regressions). But there is nothing against compatibility layers being added later (maybe by someone else).

1+1=10