VOGONS

First post, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a general question I have wanted to ask for a long time: Does the current cvs already contain most features of the next release or are changes in cvs-code mainly patches and updates to ver. 065?

Visit the end of the internet: www.groskreutz.de

Reply 1 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

As far as I know, very little work is done with regard to make patches specifically for 0.65. Bugs gets patched, code improved, and new features are implemented, and eventually all is wrapped up and released as a new version of DOSBox.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Qbix does keep some patches out of CVS so that we can test them from his private builds before they become integrated into CVS. I think most if not all of the ones from the private beta are already in CVS for the upcoming release of the next official version of DosBox which will be here in the upcoming months.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2007-02-03, 22:03. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

WHAT DosFreak??

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 7, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

since i had a chance to test a private 0.66 beta2 myself a little, i could only say that this version contains some enhancements from current CVS releases (except pixelshaders, some scalers, printer-, svgachipset-, and glide-emulation...) and the core range is limited to normal, dynamic and auto.
but i think the most important part are the speed improvements with dynamic core. all "newer" SVGA pixel/voxel engine games i have tested are around 20-30 percent faster than current 0.65 CVS releases for me.

excused my question but why are making the developers/moderators here such a big mistery about the upcoming release?
there are many talented people out there, that could give usefull informations about problems and especially game compatibility even before the final release, if they whould know about the betas. i say that because i know, VOGONS is sooner or later be filled with posts about problems with the new version...

sysprofile.png

Reply 5 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's nothing stopping people from downloading the CVS, testing it and posting here.

The "mystery" about releases is because a release date is not set. Why tell people something that may not be true? So they can bitch and moan when it isn't out yet? Besides if they want the latest version all they have to do is go to AEP and download the latest compiled version for WIN32 or compile the CVS themselves.

As for the patches that aren't in CVS. They aren't in CVS for a reason. The reason? They are still being developed.

The speed improvement for dynamic core has been in CVS for the pas few weeks.....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There is no big mystery about the next release.
The only reason we don't like to discuss it's date is to keep anoying questions away on when the date will be.

For your information. I've created a beta3 as well. Today I'll probably create the first release candidate. Considering we had 3 betas I don't expect much problems with it.
I think the testing period will be something like a month. unlike the beta I'll commit all changes and patches to cvs.
The release candidate executable/installer will be available for the beta testers and some groups of people. They will be allowed to make entries about it in our compatibility database.

I hope you find this information useful.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!