Reply 20 of 37, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's why i'm (at the moment) convinced that it's a buggy installation,
which is (most likely) caused by an older dosbox version but was not
visible in those versions.

Of course, you could be right ... .

I have installed windows 3.x in dosbox about one year ago, this being the version I still use and that grown really big (including delphi, for example). Thus, I have originally installed it using a dosbox 0.63 cvs build (~ cvs version of February/March 2006).
Back then dosbox was not half as compatible with win 3,x as it has become since then, maybe leading to a not 100% "healthy" win 3x installation.

But to be really sure about this we need some testing by another one facing problems with the latest cvs-builds, especially because my win3x installation has worked pefectly until cvs 2007.01.17 and since then has been working only after applying some changes to the source code.

Visit the end of the internet: www.groskreutz.de

Reply 21 of 37, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Well, my WfW installation from 1997 works still like a charm in Dosbox (it only needed some system drivers commented out in system.ini).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 22 of 37, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd be happy to test my current installation of Windows 3.1.

Mine also is from a few months ago, installed under DOSBox 0.65. It has the joystick support, SB16, WinG, S3 drivers, etc.

I downloaded some of the mid January builds from your link DOSFreak, but it looks like some of the .dll files were updated or changed since 0.65 and I need those too. It wouldn't run.

Robert

Reply 23 of 37, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just used the .dll's from yhkwong's build. Had to rename one of them can't remember which one.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 24 of 37, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I saw ykhwong had a new build based on .66RC1. It blows up whenever I exit DOSBox. But Windows 3.1 is now fine. Interestingly, this happens on my main home PC, which is an AMD. My work laptop (Thinkpad T41 - Intel Centrino) works fine with the same folder, Windows 3.1 and all. So maybe something ykhwong does with his builds doesn't like my AMD, or some other component on my PC.

I tried a bunch of different CVS builds from Jan 1 through Feb 6 and all work fine on both PC's. I suppose that is the more important news.

-Robert

Reply 25 of 37, by Xerxes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, i made further testing with plain CVS'es. In build from 17.01.2007 Stonekeep is working ok (dynamic core) and in 18.01.2007 (and greater) it crashes. Hope it helps.

Intel C2D E8500@3,6 Ghz, DDR2-800 2x2Gb Ram, MSI Radeon HD6950 Twin Frozr II/OC, Asus P5E Deluxe, Asus Xonar DX, HDD: WD 500AAKS x2, Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Reply 26 of 37, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This matches the results of my testings.

Win3x (dynamic core) crashes with all cvs-builds newer than 2007.1.17 and works with all cvs-builds between ~ May 2006 and 2007.1.17.

Win3x does not have problems if I force dosbox to use the normal core, though this leads to great speed reducements, of course.

Visit the end of the internet: www.groskreutz.de

Reply 27 of 37, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

In build from 17.01.2007 Stonekeep is working ok (dynamic core) and in 18.01.2007 (and greater) it crashes. Hope it helps.

Stonekeep is ok, i got that game myself. It's a bit odd because it crashes
only with mingw builds for some reason.

Reply 29 of 37, by Xerxes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So it's a problem with mingw not with dosbox?

Intel C2D E8500@3,6 Ghz, DDR2-800 2x2Gb Ram, MSI Radeon HD6950 Twin Frozr II/OC, Asus P5E Deluxe, Asus Xonar DX, HDD: WD 500AAKS x2, Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Reply 33 of 37, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
abyss wrote:

Wait dosbox 0.66 is out. How come it is not shown at the dosbox site.

he said rc1 or release candidate 1... its just like saying its a beta.[/quote]

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 34 of 37, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been playing with .66rc1 as well. I am very impressed. I now just set cycles=max and everything just runs smooth as silk. Sweetness.

Good work!

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 35 of 37, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
franpa wrote:
abyss wrote:

Wait dosbox 0.66 is out. How come it is not shown at the dosbox site.

he said rc1 or release candidate 1... its just like saying its a beta.

Only if you work for Microsoft.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 36 of 37, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

F*ckin A. Practically every DOS game I own works full speed now. Blood in 800x600, System Shock in 640x480, everything. 😁 Keep up the amazing work fellas.