VOGONS

wow !!!!!

Topic actions

First post, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What a speed boost !!!!!

With 0.66 rc1 (cvs) I'm finally able to play micropose grand prix 2 (!) with almost all graphic details (svga!) on a crappy 1.6 GHz centrino Laptop!

😁 😁 😁 😁

Visit the end of the internet: www.groskreutz.de

Reply 4 of 37, by Xerxes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, and Stonekeep crashes (only with dynamic core i believe).

Intel C2D E8500@3,6 Ghz, DDR2-800 2x2Gb Ram, MSI Radeon HD6950 Twin Frozr II/OC, Asus P5E Deluxe, Asus Xonar DX, HDD: WD 500AAKS x2, Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Reply 5 of 37, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

up to date plain cvs compile ?
thought that the dynamic code was quite stable.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 37, by Xerxes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, i'm talking about newest CVS here. The dynamic core was stable (in Stonekeep) in 01.05.2007 cvs by ykhwong, but not now (neighter ykhwong or plain cvs from cvscompile.aep-emu.de).

edit: this is screenshot from crash - dynamic core, auto cycles, DOSBox 0.66rc1 CVS (02/06/2007) by ykhwong

Attachments

• Filename
    sk.jpg
    File size
    148.54 KiB
    Downloads
    253 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Xerxes on 2007-02-06, 21:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Intel C2D E8500@3,6 Ghz, DDR2-800 2x2Gb Ram, MSI Radeon HD6950 Twin Frozr II/OC, Asus P5E Deluxe, Asus Xonar DX, HDD: WD 500AAKS x2, Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Reply 8 of 37, by Xerxes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

CVS from 06.02.2007 but last change was made 2007-02-04 (according to changelog).

Reply 10 of 37, by Xerxes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In 01.05.2007 cvs by ykhwong, i'm 100% sure because i actually finished this game on it...

edit: so something went wrong between 01.05.2007 and 01.21.2007 ykhwong's cvs

Reply 11 of 37, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Strike Commander causes troubles for me as well (erratic mouse behaviour) lately. My enthusiastic "wow!!!" statement was more or less restricted to speed improvements.

As some of you know I have submitted a bug report about stability problems with the dynamic core and win 3.x myself. It's quite probable that these problems are not "win 3.x only problems", but that more or less general problems of the dynamic core.

Xerxes' timetable (between 07.01.05 and 07.1.21) matches the results of my own testing.

Reply 12 of 37, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You are certainly right with your "wow!!!".

Duke3D runs like a charm in 800x600 - just compare it to the official .065 release.
Feels like a 1000% speed improvement. 😁

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 13 of 37, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Xerxes wrote:

In 01.05.2007 cvs by ykhwong, i'm 100% sure because i actually finished this game on it...

edit: so something went wrong between 01.05.2007 and 01.21.2007 ykhwong's cvs

This statement is correct in many ways. My Windows 3.1 works fine in ykhwong's 1-5-2007 build, which is my current favorite. It worked on previous builds too, but not the latest 1-21-2007 build without crashing.

Robert

Reply 14 of 37, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

My Windows 3.1 works fine in ykhwong's 1-5-2007 build, which is my current favorite.

Nobody cares what's your favourite. If you think it's a bug, test it in a clean
cvs and, if possible, try to determine the date when it's broken. Currently
there is no useful information about those windows problems.

Reply 15 of 37, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wd wrote:
Nobody cares what's your favourite. If you think it's a bug, test it in a clean cvs and, if possible, try to determine the date […]
Show full quote

My Windows 3.1 works fine in ykhwong's 1-5-2007 build, which is my current favorite.

Nobody cares what's your favourite. If you think it's a bug, test it in a clean
cvs and, if possible, try to determine the date when it's broken. Currently
there is no useful information about those windows problems.

Well, other than pointing out that you may try the same build(s) to see if it happens to you under the same circumstances.

I am not a tester, or a developer, nor do I claim to be. I'm a user. I only wish to add some weight to a problem and point out that it happens to more than one person.

-Robert

Reply 16 of 37, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well then, i have a good bunch of win3x installations, some running large
apps as the previously mentioned delphi and others. All just work fine.
The is really nothing i can do with such rough information (the timeframe
you posted has a good 50 commits).

Reply 18 of 37, by kruwi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The "strange thing" about these problems (which I was the first to mention in this forum) is that they do not occur if I do a fresh win 3.x installation ... .

I have done a lot of testing abou this, trying to find the roots of the problem with the help of wd. But at the moment I am still as clueless as before.

To valnar:
But I have done these testings. And I'm NO TESTER and NO DEVELOPER. Just a USER, like you. So, is there any chance that you could do some testings as well? It would be very helpful if you could use some of the builds mentioned by DOSFREAK and experimentate a bit, using builds from differente dates and compare them. It's important you use these builds and not yhkwong's for testing because they are clean and do not contain additional patches.

This would be very very helpful!!!!

Reply 19 of 37, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

is that they do not occur if I do a fresh win 3.x installation ...

That's why i'm (at the moment) convinced that it's a buggy installation,
which is (most likely) caused by an older dosbox version but was not
visible in those versions.
If somebody can post reproducable steps how it happens after installing
win3x (preferably using the dynamic core only) then for one this points
at a bug in the current dosbox versions AND gives valuable information
for further debugging.