VOGONS

Magic Carpet crashing (CVS)

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 91, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dragonmaster (and maybe anyone having crash problems in MC): maybe i've found the source of the problem. Could you please try the following:

- After starting Magic Carpet, change the Sound Card to "Sound Blaster Compatible", and the Music Card to "General MIDI" (btw, which sound settings did you use for your previous tests?).
- Set cycles to around 40.000, core to dynamic (it would be interesting with which cycles setting you had your crashes)

Try playing the game. For my tests, i've used "ems=false" and "umb=false", but these settings seem to have nothing to do with the crashes. I did my tests with DOS32A (latest version) instead of the original DOS4GW. MC runs much smoother when using DOS32A.

With the above settings, i was able to play 4 or 5 maps without a single crash.

Before, i was using "SB16" for sound. With these settings, and with DOS32A, i got crashes every few minutes (in low resolution mode). I believe the crashes are related to the "SB16"-setting of MC.

Maybe you should try changing the soundcard for Screamer, too (i don't have this game here for testing).

And, to make that clear: i'm talking about MC1 here. MC2 is a different topic.

BTW: DOSFreak seems to be right about MC2 being an unstable game. Wikipedia says: "Magic Carpet 2 was rushed to completion by EA in order to make the holiday season and the release shipped with many bugs including a fatal bug that often caused the game to crash. This fallout prompted Bullfrog designer Peter Molyneux to part ways with EA.".

Reply 22 of 91, by dragonmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

for screamer i think it isnt the case because, i have tested even without soundcard and the crashes seems to be still there.

For magic Carpet 2, the bug is only present with highres not with lowres, so I dont think its caused by the game, but it could be

Reply 23 of 91, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I got it crashing with lowres as well
We are still investigating. It is hard to figure out why it breaks.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 24 of 91, by dragonmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The more videodetails are shown the higher the resolution is the more crashes the dynamic core, so it seems that the bug in the dyncore effects the emulation of the videorendering, it has nothing to do with the audioemulation

Reply 28 of 91, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

<Sigh>.... This is starting to be a hodge-podge of rather undefined information. Is this thread about MC1? MC2? Screamer? Dyncore bugs? Re-Programming MC2 in order to get it bugfree? I'm confused.

Dragonmaster, are you able to actually test the things i described in my previous message? Just saying "it has nothing to do with audioemulation" is not exactly helpful.

I'll write it again, slowly: my crash probs with MC1 are nearly gone after changing MC's soundcard setting. I've tested this over several hours, with different versions of DOSBox.

Reply 29 of 91, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, and to complete the confusion: i've just tested Screamer (installed from CD) with different builds of DOSBox. The first three tracks (the ones that are available from the start) ran without problems, i completed several races on each track in VGA and SVGA mode. I even tried using DOS32A, and had no troubles at all.

But on the track "SunBeach Hill", DOSBox will crash very often. These crashes "feel" different to the ones i'm seeing (or saw, to be precise) in MC. The crashes are so "hard" that i need to close DOSBox with the task manager most of the time. The crashes occur with the original DOS4GW. The Screamer problem happens with the special RC build i got for testing, too - even when the sound is completely disabled via Screamers setup app.

IMHO, the Screamer problem is different from the MC problem, though the logfile output looks kinda similar in both cases. My tests were not very extensive, maybe dragonmaster can provide more details.

Reply 32 of 91, by dragonmaster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tested screamer with the aep cvs from 22.02. after the stonekeep fix, but it still crashes only the error message has changes a bit , now it says: DYNX86:Can't run code in this page and the usally illegal reads and writes

Reply 35 of 91, by Xerxes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm Stonekeep is working for me just fine now.

Intel C2D E8500@3,6 Ghz, DDR2-800 2x2Gb Ram, MSI Radeon HD6950 Twin Frozr II/OC, Asus P5E Deluxe, Asus Xonar DX, HDD: WD 500AAKS x2, Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Reply 36 of 91, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well i found/fixed the bug that kept it crashing randomly, but there
seems to be something else just happening much more rarely
(when going down the stairs). No idea when that happens though.
Yet it is quite playable for me.