VOGONS

First post, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I have had a look at the DOSBox Wish List and decided that I could probably help out with some of the non-emulation aspects of DOSBox, e.g. extending the help information for the DOSBox magic commands like DIR /? that contains no information about the /W or /P options.

I will be doing this on Windows XP. I need to install an C++ compiler and an IDE that can help me navigate the source. I guess the C++ compiler will be GNU C++ / MinGW, but what about the IDE?

I prefer free and know that some of my colleagues at work use something called Eclipse? What do you use?

And - once I have my first patch ready, do I just post it here, or should I mail it to someone for review before it is included in the CVS?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 1 of 4, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I use Eclipse for making and adding patches. If you'd like screenshots let me know. Eclipse also has a C/C++ addon and can work with GNU but since I have MSVC (there is some free download too) I never tried that variant. And your computer should have quite some RAM when using Eclipse.

1+1=10

Reply 3 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

kruwi - Bloodshed seems to be C++ only. I would like if I can do Java stuff in the same IDE too (think DBGL hacking).

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 4, by iampiti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try codeblocks http://www.codeblocks.org/. It's free software and it's written in c++ and because of that it's faster than the java ones 😀. Anyway, as you said, eclipse has a c++ plugin and i think netbeans has one too. Both of them use large amounts of ram though.

Iampiti