VOGONS

First post, by fiesh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I don't know the exact reason why MODEM_DEFAULT_PORT is set to 23, but I wanted to stress the fact that this is among the worst possible choices. Not only is port 23 reserved to telnet (I suppose this was somehow the reason for the choice), which is a bad thing itself, ports below 1024 cannot be bind()ed by anyone but the superuser on UNIX systems.

I guess this ia all well known and I suppose the answer is "just use another port then." However there are games in which you might not be able to enter a colon in the ATDT field (for example I haven't managed to do so in Heroes of Might and Magic), and anyway default values should be sensible values suitable for almost everyone, which 23 certainly isn't.

Therefore I'd suggest a change.

Regards,

--
fiesh

Reply 3 of 3, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I agree, it should be some port above 1024, something which could become a DOSBox default value (instead of hijacking telnet). I don't like the idea that a DOSBox executable would try to use a port it isn't allowed to. Users could get stupid ideas and try to run DOSBox as root. Something nostalgic, like 8086 or 3860 so would be fitting, wouldn't it? 😉