VOGONS

0.70 for Mac Freezing

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 141, by mrwiggles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tried to simply open the application, I have also tried to open it through the terminal. I have also tried opening it through the Dapplegrey program, which seem to yields the best results. Dosbox stays open the longest through Dapplegrey, to the point where the black dosbox almost loads up.

Also, oddly, v.65 works just fine. It just .7 that refuses to load. [/i]

It's all fun and games, till someone loses an eye. . . Then its funny as hell!

Reply 121 of 141, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mrwiggles wrote:

My computer is running OSX 10.4, at 900MHz with 384megs of ram.

What's the way you installed MacOS X 10.4 (XPostFacto)? Since no Macintosh computer uses exactly 900 MHz, there is one running w/933 MHz (MacTracker tells the PowerMac G4 Quicksilver 2002), I assume you've plugged in a processor card.
On the other hand your problem may be shows up because you're using an G3 CPU or something older, since DOSBOX 0.70 requires a PowerPC G4 CPU.

Klimawandel.

Reply 123 of 141, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darkgamorck wrote:

If he is using a G3 system, he can get a custom build at the link below:

http://www.enosnusnu.de/index.php?/archives/7 … ild-for-G3.html

Does this one work for you, Wiggles? 😉

Klimawandel.

Reply 124 of 141, by Geoff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there any chance an updated build for OSX can be released? Or does someone have one they're willing to share? I'd like to think I'm reasonably competent with computers, compiling, etc., but ./configure can't find SDL, which definitely is on my system, and I don't know where to start poking around to make it happy.

Reply 125 of 141, by Geoff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, what it really can't find is sdl-config, which I agree is not on my system. I used the SDL from SDL-1.2.11.dmg, downloaded from the SDL site. It looks from one of the files there that actually compiling SDL from scratch is a major pain. Is there a work-around? Is there a way to get this file? If so, what? Thanks!

Reply 126 of 141, by Geoff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To answer my own question (for anyone with the same question): Fink (Google for it) will download and install a version of SDL that works. From there, my build went fine, though I'd like to know how to build a static version that I can drop on top of the old version I downloaded. The only references to "static" I could find in ./configure are variable declarations, and Makefile doesn't contain the word at all.

Reply 127 of 141, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Geoff wrote:

From there, my build went fine, though I'd like to know how to

Boah eh, I never managed to build any application using XCode,
even downloaded source codes... 😵

Klimawandel.

Reply 128 of 141, by ashutosh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everybody!
Just letting you know that I had the same problem (DOSBOX freezes after 20-30 minutes in most games I've tried). This patch solved problem for me, so thank you everybody!
Would be nice to see this patch in next release of DOSBOX.

Regards

Reply 130 of 141, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ashutosh wrote:

Just letting you know that I had the same problem (DOSBOX freezes after 20-30 minutes in most games I've tried).

Tested it w/a DOS self-running demo game, leaving DOSBox and the whole computer alone for 20 minutes - coming back to it - it hangs.

Newer spent 20 minutes to DOSBox at once playing before, though...

Klimawandel.

Reply 136 of 141, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
laughingjack wrote:

Is there an article that explains what you need to compile dosbox on OS X? I'd love to fix this issue for myself, I just do not know how.

*listening, too* 😎

Klimawandel.

Reply 137 of 141, by darkgamorck

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well here is a quick rundown (I don't have my Mac here at work - so this from memory):

1) Install the Apple Developer Tools

2) Download and Install Mac Ports

3) Install the following packages using ports (these are from memory so the list may be incomplete and/or inaccurate):

libsdl
libsdl_net
libpng
libsdl_sound

Hint: On the Command Line, to install a package with ports, use the "port install <packagename>" syntax.

4) Download the latest DOSBox cvs code from a prepackaged tarball here or use the CVS download instructions here.

5) Extract the dosbox source if you downloaded the tarball. The source will be extracted into a subdirectory called dosbox. If you pulled the latest code from CVS, the source will be in a subdirectory called dosbox as well.

6) Enter the dosbox subdirectory in the terminal.

7) Type "./autogen.sh"

8) Type "./configure"

9) Type "make"

Hint: If any of the above three commands fail, then you either a) are missing an important package, b) didn't install the dev tools or c) got a version of the CVS code that has a compilation problem. For example, in older versions DOSBox wouldn't compile right on OS X if you had SDL_net installed due to a bug that has been fixed in the most recent CVS snapshots.

10) Enter the "src" subdirectory.

11) Execute the new build by typing "./dosbox"

Note: You can also update the DOSBox 0.70 Application Bundle with the new binary. Simply replace the DOSBox.app/Contents/MacOS/DOSBox file with the new dosbox binary you execute in step 11. Please use the exact case that the old executable had (i.e. the resulting binary in the bundle should be called DOSBox rather than dosbox).

Hopefully that will help. I probably got the package names for MacPorts wrong. You can run "port search sdl" on the commandline for a list of the most of the packages above. That will give you the proper package names for the "port install <packagename>" command.

Good luck!

Last edited by darkgamorck on 2007-06-09, 01:41. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 138 of 141, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

archive of packaged cvs source is nowadays:
dosbox.linuxdevel.net/dosboxcvs.tgz

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!