VOGONS

First post, by Bisqwit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, for the past few weeks I have been developing tool-assisted speedrun creating support for DOSBox.

Background information: Tool-assisted speedruns (TAS) are movies of games completed incredibly fast, and the end product is a movie that only contains a stream of input and is supposed to be the only thing (along with the game and the emulator) that is needed to playback the the movie. The game will run at normal speed, and experience very precise input, crafted by utilizing savestates and emulation speed variations to compensate for shortcomings in human reflexes and in the ability to predict the future.
My site, http://tasvideos.org/ , collects hundreds of this kind of movies.
The aspects it requires from an emulator are listed here, and features desired by the players are listed here.

So, I have started developing support for that in DOSBox.
Since the news of that haven't yet seemed to reach these forums, I decided to post myself.

Here's a link to the discussion of it on tasvideos:
http://tasvideos.org/forum/t/5285
(includes some instructions regarding its use).

Here's a link to the latest source code patch (it patches dosbox-0.70 into dosbox-rerecording-alpha5):
http://bisqwit.iki.fi/src/patch-dosbox-0.70-r … rding-alpha5.gz

I have already created one tool-assisted speedrun movie as proof-of-concept using this patch.
Here is link to my Star Control II speedrun (completion time is 35:03): http://tasvideos.org/1493S.html
It includes an AVI as a BitTorrent download (link is on that page).

The code is yet incomplete. As others have explained on this forum (dosbox) countless times, adding savestate support to DOSBox is anything but easy. There is a lot of data saved in a myriad of different structures, containing pointers to functions among other things.
So far, I have went where the fence is the lowest, and I did the absolute minimum to make Star Control II TAS'able. However, I have recently added support for things like protected mode, and it is my next goal to make Descent also TASable. So far it isn't; frequently, it just crashes right after loading a savestate.

Last thing: This is NOT an april fools post.

So why I post this? It's because I hope that the code I wrote, could work as a basis for adding a real, refined savestate support in Dosbox. At the very least, it would be nice to avoid branching dosbox, as has already happened with snes9x and visualboyadvance.

I can answer questions regarding the patch, should anyone wonder what the various things in it do and exist for.

Last edited by Bisqwit on 2007-04-02, 11:53. Edited 1 time in total.

x6425081281317.png

Reply 1 of 33, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow! This is a good one!
I could not get it to work properly, though. Not sure if my version is different from the expected or I am missing some step -- my copy comes from Sci-Fi Ultimate Archives collection. The game was "factory pre-cracked" for that budget release so I have starcon2.com and starcon2.exb. I've deleted .com and renamed .exb to .exe but the game still exits after attempting to enter star name. Just for reference, the file starcon2.exe in this release is 342819 bytes long and has file date 12/03/92.

Reply 2 of 33, by Bisqwit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vasyl wrote:

Just for reference, the file starcon2.exe in this release is 342819 bytes long and has file date 12/03/92.

342819 is the right length. The CRC32 should be 126d0616.
Did you put both the dosbox.conf and the sc2.dof (or movie.dof, I forget which one was the desired filename in that version) file in the game's directory?

x6425081281317.png

Reply 3 of 33, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

why not use ZMBV for video ?

You are removing way too much in the keyboard port 60 write handler. (the mem_a20 stuff is important!)

I'm planning on rewriting the callback/run_realint stuff a bit so there is less recursiveness in dosbox. I think that this essential for more complex games. (and that there is only one machine running at one time)

Your way is quite "messy" compared to how dosbox is organized now, but maybe I'm thinking too much in the defined borders. One of my ideas is to use the config class (that startups and shutdown all devices) to make savestates.

I'm not sure what you mean with branching ?

I doubt that your savestates are endian safe. but that will be tricky because of all the pointers we use internally as well. I'm not sure if that can be easely corrected in your patch.

It's a nice initative though, certain things you handled quite nice. We will develop savestate support eventually (no suprise here).

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 33, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yep, looks nice 😀
Though as you noted the main problems remain (callback recursion,
pic/callback function pointers). They're better worked around/ignored
for the moment, will get really nasty otherwise.

Reply 5 of 33, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The CRC is the same. movie.dof is there and is functional -- I can see dosbox trying to input star name. There is also input going on after the game exits.
From what I can see, the game asks for orange dwarf at 581.2:120.8 which is Sculptoris Delta but the input shows Horologii (a constellation around 680:740). Tomorrow I will try to find some other copy of the game (with all luck I may be able to find the original release) and see if any other files were modified in Sci-Fi Archives.

Reply 6 of 33, by Bisqwit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

why not use ZMBV for video ?

What is ZMBV? Is it open source? Does it work in mencoder?

Qbix wrote:

You are removing way too much in the keyboard port 60 write handler. (the mem_a20 stuff is important!)

Oh, I kind of forgot about the A20 stuff. Wonder how Descent still managed to get started, though.

But why I rewrote the keyboard handler is because I needed a way to introduce a keyboard queue that is not really a queue at all; instead, a list of key states. So that for example, if you hit A, but then, you undo the hitting of A with a savestate, no A press/release IRQ will be triggered at all; and a neat way to save the keyboard state in movie so that it can be replayed.

The thing with savestates is that not only need they restore the previous situation, they also need to act as if no savestate was done at all.

For example, if your movie is created like this:
. Frame 0000 -- input A, advance
. Frame 0001 -- input B, advance
. Frame 0002 -- input C, advance
. Frame 0003 -- savestate -- input D, advance
. Frame 0004 -- input E, advance
. Frame 0005 -- loadstate
. Frame 0003 -- input F, advance
. Frame 0004 -- input G, advance
And later, you replay the movie, the emulated system must progress exactly as if the original progress was like this:
. Frame 0000 -- Input A, advance
. Frame 0001 -- Input B, advance
. Frame 0002 -- Input C, advance
. Frame 0003 -- Input F, advance
. Frame 0004 -- Input G, advance
The game must react exactly the same way, and every internal aspect of the emulated system (including things like current rendering scanline, CPU cycle counter, etc) should be identical to the situation that was when the movie was under making. Loading the snapshot cannot involve resetting any device to its default values (such as zeroing the CPU cycle counters), etc.
I do not mean to imply that you meant that, but just to be safe, I clarified it.

By branching, I meant that while the official version undergoes development, the TAS community maintains their own emulator version which also undergoes development, but the differences between them will increase. This is a bad thing.

Qbix wrote:

I doubt that your savestates are endian safe. but that will be tricky because of all the pointers we use internally as well. I'm not sure if that can be easely corrected in your patch.

No, they are not endian-safe. In fact, these savestates are only valid for the binary they were saved with. When you do even trivial changes to dosbox and recompile it, the old savestates no longer work, because they contain pointers which were saved raw, without any semantics.

One of the greatest features, but also the most troublesome, in this patch, is the "fsemu" part. It is a replacement / middle-end to act between the INT 21h API and the DOS_* function calls. Basically, it implements a virtual copy-on-write filesystem that uses the real mounted filesystem as a template (ignoring actual mountpoints though), but any writes into the filesystem will be simulated, without actual writes happening, and the simulated state is snapshottable so that any revision of the filesystem can be restored ... without a single write to actual files happening. In TAS making, the existing of this middle-end is necessary, because the savestate must save and restore the complete system state -- including the list of open files&handles, their seek positions and their contents, and the movie must be replayable from beginning with always the same beginning situation and always the same end result.

vasyl: Sounds like some timing difference. With this information alone I cannot guess what causes it.

Last edited by Bisqwit on 2007-04-02, 10:01. Edited 1 time in total.

x6425081281317.png

Reply 8 of 33, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

it might be easier to put your changes in the sdl_mapper file (to save keyboard input)

My idea was to have an alternate constructor for each module of dosbox that gets the values for all variables involved from a file. So a restoring of the savestate would rebuild the machine with values from a file.

Reply 9 of 33, by Bisqwit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

What is ZMBV? Is it open source?

Maybe look at the dosbox source tree 😉 (hint: src/libs)

Oh, but I would really suppose that H.264 maintains a better quality/size ratio than ZMBV...

Re: sdl_mapper. You might be right. However, I had already created the SimKeyboard system once (before I started working on dosbox, I tried to make my own emulator), and it was easiest to plug it into where I did.
Also, the sdl_mapper mechanism is quite complex and hard to understand in my opinion... I eventually figured my way around it, and I implemented some hotkeys by putting them in CKeyEvent::Active(), but I'm sure this is also the wrong way.

Last edited by Bisqwit on 2007-04-02, 10:10. Edited 1 time in total.

x6425081281317.png

Reply 11 of 33, by Bisqwit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Regarding all the pointers, my idea was to issue a "declare a callback" call in each object's constructor for each callback function they use, in the same way as it does the RegisterSaveStateField calls.
The "declare a callback" would assign an unique name for each callback function, and when savestates are saved, the callback pointers in structures are replaced with those names.

When the savestate is loaded, each callback function name loaded from the savestate, is replaced with the actual pointer, using the pointer declared by the currently running binary.

For example, in sblaster.cpp, SBLASTER_Init(), there would be a call "RegisterCallback(DMA_Silent_Event)", and it would insert the pointer and the name into a static map in state.cpp.
In pic.cpp, PIC_Init(), pic.entries[].event would be introduced as a callback pointer to the savestate mechanism.

However, this seems like large work (cataloging each callback function and changing the savestate mechanism to make an exception for the function pointers), so I haven't done it yet.

Dynamically allocated memory would still need their own save&load functions, as is done in fsemu.hh for example.

These changes would resolve the "recompile dosbox, and all your savestates become invalid" issue, but it wouldn't make them portable.

x6425081281317.png

Reply 12 of 33, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I was thinking something comparable.
having a name match for the callbacks and linking those together.

Reply 13 of 33, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've located the original version of Star Control II and while some files are different it still produces exactly the same result. I don't think it's timing issue, I rather suspect host CPU dependency. I don't remember if SC2 uses FPU or not but if it does and if it is used as part of randomizer then it may behave differently on Intel and AMD. The way DOSBox works those subtle FPU differences may leak from host to the emulated environment -- the differences are irrelevant in almost all cases anyway. My system is Athlon64 3500+. Let's see if we get more reports.

Reply 14 of 33, by Bisqwit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tested it on Athlon XP, Pentium M... and Athlon XP, all successfully.
I thought Dosbox does not depend on host CPU?

Tested versions are alpha3 and alpha5.

(Five minutes prior to this posting I tested it on Pentium M.)

Contents of directory where I run it (taken in Cygwin):

bisqwit@Gon:~/sc2$ ls -l
total 16496
-rwxrwxrwx 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 2241967 Mar 24 23:57 SDL.dll
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 53103 Jun 27 1996 androsyn.shp
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 46739 Jun 27 1996 arilou.shp
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 87325 Jun 27 1996 blackurq.shp
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 97521 Jun 27 1996 chenjesu.shp
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 82821 Jun 27 1996 chmmr.shp
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 2053204 Jun 27 1996 con1.pkg
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 1443224 Jun 27 1996 con2.pkg
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 6688 Mar 21 20:31 dosbox.conf
-rwxrwxrwx 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 2409472 Mar 31 23:26 dosbox.exe
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 56261 Jun 27 1996 druuge.shp
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 81403 Jun 27 1996 human.shp
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 66461 Jun 27 1996 ilwrath.shp
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 947953 Jun 27 1996 ip.pkg
-rwxr-xr-x 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 30784 Jun 27 1996 keys.exe
-rwxr-xr-x 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 170177 Jun 27 1996 melee.exe
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 67742 Jun 27 1996 melee.pkg
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 87127 Jun 27 1996 melnorme.shp
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 74011 Jun 27 1996 mmrnmhrm.shp
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 3080928 Mar 25 00:55 movie.dof
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 83953 Jun 27 1996 mycon.shp
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 89887 Jun 27 1996 orz.shp
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 89261 Jun 27 1996 pkunk.shp
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 2370872 Jun 27 1996 setup.pkg
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 67817 Jun 27 1996 shofixti.shp
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 62665 Jun 27 1996 slylandr.shp
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 48297 Jun 27 1996 spathi.shp
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 1434 Jun 27 1996 starcon.pkg
-rwxrwxr-x 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 342819 Jun 27 1996 starcon2.exe
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 48093 Jun 27 1996 supox.shp
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 56583 Jun 27 1996 syreen.shp
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 48333 Jun 27 1996 thradd.shp
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 49083 Jun 27 1996 umgah.shp
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 93513 Jun 27 1996 urquan.shp
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 65059 Jun 27 1996 utwig.shp
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 36793 Jun 27 1996 vux.shp
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 44527 Jun 27 1996 yehat.shp
-rw-r--r-- 1 bisqwit Ei mitään 43445 Jun 27 1996 zoqfot.shp

Here's a screenshot of it running…
http://bisqwit.iki.fi/kala/snap/sc2dosboxsnap.png

x6425081281317.png

Reply 15 of 33, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

subtle FPU differences

Which? Either c lib routines are used (consistent over fpus just has
not full precision) or the host fpu is used (dynamic core, but then
send a mail to amd/intel if they produce non-consistent fpu units).

Which core was used for recording?

Reply 17 of 33, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which? Either c lib routines are used (consistent over fpus just has
not full precision) or the host fpu is used (dynamic core, but then
send a mail to amd/intel if they produce non-consistent fpu units).

Unfortunately, even C RTL routines can be affected. A few years ago I had first-hand experience working on certain network game that made a lot of physics calculations. We had a lot of fun dealing with all bugs caused by FPU discrepancies. Granted, it was P2 vs K6, and I think the discrepancies were mostly in trig routines but things like that happen.
Now I don't think this is the case here. I've got the exact same file set as Bisqwit -- btw, that appears to be the same version as in SciFi Archives, slightly newer than the original release. I tried to run it on Centrino-based notebook and got the same result. The must be some other variable. So far I can only think about machine locale (all of my machines are set to US and Bisqwit's one is obviously non-US) but I don't see how that could affect random number generator.

Reply 18 of 33, by Bisqwit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

vasyl, ensure yet again that you actually have that dosbox.conf file (which was included in the zip) in the directory where you launch dosbox (i.e. the game's directory). If the dosbox titlebar says "3000" instead of "20000", it is wrong.

x6425081281317.png