VOGONS

First post, by wculver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone, I am new here and I have a couple questions.
I work for a Motorola service shop, and we are currently trying to get rid of a bunch of old laptops which run DOS.
We used dos with old radio programming software.
Lately I have been using DOSBOX to test this old software, and so far I have had no troubles reading and programming radios.

However I am seeing things in the DosBox status window that are concerning.
Such as Buffer overrun and FIFO errors. I have made all the settings that I believe are correct in the Config file, and I even downloaded the Directserial_win32.cpp from Hal9000.

If this is something that I can ignore then great, but I would maybe like some input from other people that have used DOSBOX with radio programming.

Reply 1 of 6, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The FIFO warning is ok.

The others might be side effects of strange serial protocols. If the programming results are always good I wouldn't bother. 0.70 has the latest serial code btw.

1+1=10

Reply 3 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

yup definitely 😀
Maybe all those motorola shops could at least donate a bit to the cause...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 6, by wculver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

We used to use old Dell laptops with Pentium 2 chips. In dosbox I have had to set the CPU cycles all the way up to 50000 or so, in order to get the radios to read. Is this normal?

Also, it seems to take forever to read and program to the radio, is this normal?