VOGONS

First post, by sup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, i use Dosbox to run Heroes of might and Magic http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.php?s … ID=725&letter=H
I compiled Dosbox 0.70 with ./configure make install and no other options added by myself. (Os you might already have guessed I am running Linux version)
The game plays well but when an enemy attacks (which actually happens rarely), whatever the outcome of the battle is, the game crashes. I attach my .conf file i use with the game and also a save where all you need to do is to end turn to cause the crash.
There seems to be some output that goes to the dosbox console so I do not get anything in the linux terminal I could post.

(The game needs to be unzipped to a folder that then needs to be mounted as a CDROM, saves are in GAMES directory and the save is a campaign game, which needs to be selected when loading it).

I hope you are able to reproduce the crash and then fix it. If any other info/help is needed, just ask. Thanks.

Attachments

• Filename
    heroes.conf
    File size
    4.85 KiB
    Downloads
    409 downloads
    File comment
    my .conf file I use with this game
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by sup on 2007-04-14, 07:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 4, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Welcome to the forums.

One piece of advice.
----------------------
Do not post links to abandonware.
Freeware is fine, shareware is probably fine, software that has been properly released by the copyright holder is fine. Software that is still bound by copyright and distributed contrary to the license could put this site in big trouble. Even if it may be legal where you live, even if you feel that distributing it is moral, you could cause trouble elsewhere.
If you are lucky, only the link will be erased. If you are unlucky your posts might end up locked.
----------------------

I tried running your save with my copy of Heroes, but it crashed the game upon loading.
My only advice is to try uncommenting some of the lines you commented out. Some of them could have some possible use to the game.
Personally I would suggest moving that conf to somewhere else as a backup, and generating a new one, and try using that one instead.

The other possibility is to try running the game with the line core changed from dynamic to normal. Dynamic has some stability issues at times.

There is also the possibility that your copy of the game has been changed along the way.
Some cracked games have issues running under dosbox. The only fix can be to buy a copy somewhere. Personally I find ebay a good place to start.

Reply 3 of 4, by sup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, sorry, I did not know this, I thought abandonware was legally fine, I thought it was a software the copyrights holders pledged not to do anything with anymore.

I tried normal core, nothing happened. I tried to just run plain dosbox (no configuration) and nothing happened (i.e. it crashed again).
I believe my copy is fine, but I cannot know for sure.

Anyway, now it crashes upon loading for me as well. The message that somehow appears in dosbox window are however the same, so the crash is now kind of even more easily reproduced...

Reply 4 of 4, by sup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

so i tried a different mission and there it does not happen, so even if it might be a bug in dosbox - although it is possible that original DOS would froze upon a program crash as well, I never really used it - it is probably a minor one and it might even have been caused by something that is particular to my installation.