VOGONS

DOSbox MIDI clock

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by dbarton

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I posted about this a little in general, but really belongs here.

DOSbox sends MIDI pretty well from my sequencer, but if I turn on MIDI *clock* send, it can't deal with it at all. It sends out MIDI clock that drift all over the place and maybe even seems to change with notes being sent..

MIDI clock should just be a constant clock at the project tempo, of course.

ANY hope that this will be fixed?

Is this limited to MPU401?
I tried SB emulation but had no luck getting it run.

(We are trying to use DOSbox in a live situation and MIDI clock is essential.)

Reply 1 of 6, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I could be wrong but as far as I remember MIDI clock relates to the actual Mhz of the host machine, so if you're using one of the CVS builds or a full release with Dynamic Core and Max CPU cycles set your MIDI clock is probably going to vary depending on which virtualised components are being called on/stressed when you run the sequencer you're discussing. Have you tried setting the CPU section of your dosbox.conf as follows?:-

core=full
cycles=5000
cycleup=500
cycledown=20
timesynched=true

Also make sure the MPU401 mode is set to UART instead of 'intelligent' as the latter is designed with MT32/CM32L/LAPC-1 emulation in mind and might interfere with timing on the MIDI clock. UART is the most compatible/raw setting.

Reply 2 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

stop spamming the boards with that midi clock.
We read all threads.

The problem is that they appear to happen erratic right (but they are happening ? none of them is missing?)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 6, by dbarton

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is an important clue as to the issue:

The major timing issues seem to be caused when I am sending pitch bend messages.

The actual data being send isn't that large - just 12 or so bend messages in a measure, but it seems to really confuse DOSbox.

I can send a MIDI file if it will help