VOGONS

First post, by cmdrmic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Guys,

I thought I would report this issue, since it hits me a bit odd...

I have used DOSBox 0.65 with PCPAINT 3.0 and it has worked very well. PCPAINT 3.0 is a relatively tame DOS application and when you mount the directory and start the program, the mouse has always been detected. Thus, simply click in the window, and go to work.

However, not so with DosBox 0.70. For some odd reason, this new version of DOSBox refuses to understand a mouse is required. Even with a manual capture command via CTRL+F10, no support is offered.

As a work around, I have found that if I load a old MOUSE DRIVER into DOSBox (MSCMOUSE.COM), then start PCPAINT 3.0, the mouse is working.
So, in essense this is a step back in support from previous versions as mouse support was automatic.

I have duplicated this problem on three machines running different OSs (Win XP, & Win98). How do I forward this report to the developers, or is this post sufficient?

Is it possible there is just something that needs to be configured a little differently? I am running DOSBox with all default settings.

WELL FYI

Kind Regards,

Mic

Reply 1 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

A post here is usually enough to get the attention of the developers. But feel free to create a real bug report at sourceforge.com.

*** Moved to DOSBox Development ***

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 7, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is caused by some odd checks against the address of the INT33 handler. Could be fixed by relocating DOSBox' mouse interrupt, but that would reduce available memory to the program. I've created a patch for the program and a TSR so it could work for other versions (or other programs) as well.

Reply 4 of 7, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It has the following checks:
- segment < 0x0040 (no problem)
- points to iret (no problem)
- segment >= 0xF000 (problem)

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 7 of 7, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I saw from your PM that you already understood this. For other people: From the looks of it, WD might decide to adjust DOSBox to render the patch unnecessary. It may be quite a while until an updated version is released, though. Until that time, you can use the patch or the TSR from my site. (They won't break when DOSBox is adjusted).

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.