VOGONS

First post, by sethaw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello at all. I've installed the ZMBV codec and thought "what a cool codec! High quality, acceptable filesize."

But I want also to be able to encode videos to ZMBV for myself. The problem: It doesn't work. I tried with RADVideo and VirtualDubMod. RADVideo just created an empty avi file when I selected the codec and VirtualDubMod says error: "Out of Memory". Is this a bug in the codec or what am I expected to do?

Additional information: My operating system is Windows XP.

Reply 2 of 3, by sethaw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So what would you recommend? You know for 320*200 games it's more important to have fine quality avis because a loss of quality is easier to notice there. And to better able to set keyframes and to cut my records, I thought re-encoding them to ZMBV would be a good way.

Reply 3 of 3, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Zambonis are fun 😀

Anyway, if you want to do lossless compression, use HuffYuv. That's even supported directly by ffmpeg/ffdshow. The files will be an awful lot bigger, but it's very useful for editing without losing any quality. For the final result, you might use a high-quality setting of MPEG-4 (DivX etc.) or Motion JPEG. I've done that (MPEG-4) with some of my gameplay videos and it works a treat.

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.