VOGONS

First post, by lillesvamp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As per this thread

Infrequent hangs on OS X Intel?

I'm having trouble compiling the cvs source of DOSBox on OS X. When activating the dynamic core, it crashes on an illegal instruction. The same thing happens when I compile my own 0.70 from source, but not with the official binary.

I also get warnings like

ranlib: file: libcpu.a(core_dynrec.o) has no symbols

ranlib: file: libdos.a(cdrom_ioctl_win32.o) has no symbols

ranlib: file: libserial.a(directserial_win32.o) has no symbols

I'm using i686-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1, sdl 1.2.9-1002 and sdl.sound 1.0.1-1001.

Does anybody have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Reply 1 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

those errors are fine actually. as those files are empty on mac os x in 32 bit mode.

The only special thing about your configuration is the gcc4 thing. I don't know what the other mac os x users are using.

edit they appear to use the same version.
could you attach the config.log after you have build/configured dosbox ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 6, by lillesvamp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, here are the config.logs from the two versions I have tried to compile.

Attachments

• Filename
    config_log_070.zip
    File size
    7.78 KiB
    Downloads
    231 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    config_log_cvs.zip
    File size
    8.39 KiB
    Downloads
    229 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 6, by lillesvamp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And your build works with core=dynamic? Just to clarify, compilation works just fine, it's only when I try to run the dynamic core that I get "Illegal instruction".

Well, let's compare notes then.

I've installed all external libraries with Fink, and I've used no compiler flags or anything, just plain ./autogen.sh, ./configure, make.

Could it be some multicore thing? What's your CPU?

Of course I would be very grateful for a copy of that binary of yours. My email begins with ignalina and ends with mac.com.

Thanks in advance.

Reply 5 of 6, by Psykechan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I checked my "DOSbox Preferences" file and it was set to core=auto, which should automatically switch to dynamic mode. I did manually change it to core=dynamic and successfully ran DOSbox with no errors, but I didn't really test it long.

Early 2006 iMac (Core Duo 1.83GHz) and the build was made using SDL libraries installed with MacPorts and with no compiler flags.

My earlier build is downloadable from this thread thanks to Qbix.
DOSBox Intel Mac fix build from CVS

Please note that the SDL libraries are not part of this build, i.e. they are dynamic, not static, which has absolutely nothing to do with DOSbox's dynamic core option. I'm pointing this out for two reasons.

1. There is the remote possibility that it could be your libraries causing the error. I think this is unlikely but you should keep that in mind.

2. Can someone help me compile DOSbox with static libraries so I can distribute the resulting .app file to other systems so they don't have to install libraries from MacPorts or Fink?

Let me know if you still want me to send you my build or any other info.