VOGONS

DOSBox Shell: Batch file problems

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 27, by tricky_trev

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tricky_trev wrote:

The only problem i see now is passing parameters (%2 %3 etc...) in call statements with "=" characters...

behaviour is different in real dos to DOSBox.... i suppose this is another thread 😀

seems to be a DOS peculiarity:

if %2 is /L= and %3 is 5, /L=5 can be called with %3. wierd but i got around the problem.....

Reply 25 of 27, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just in case anyone is still not convinced, I know for sure that in DOS (5/6) days, batch files were parsed directly from disk, with a byte counter. If you modified the file and modified lines above the current position, it was easy to mess up everything by changing line length. Parsing would continue from mid-line or wherever the byte position happened to be afterwards. Having done much batch programming, I learned this the hard way 😉

Reply 26 of 27, by tricky_trev

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i rember that problem exactly in the dos 5/6 days too!
oh those were the days....

it is really true that the xp dos is not a real dos shell, which probably results in the peculiarities i exposed.

anyway, now to the next problem (in another thread)... mouse cursors in text mode (blinks too slow).

Reply 27 of 27, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The command prompt in NT OSes initially is a Win32 application which does the parsing. If you start a 16-bit-program ntvdm comes up and takes over the window.

1+1=10