VOGONS

First post, by =zum=

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I was doing mess with indy foa, and I've put EGA mode (atlantis e), the resolution changes to 640x400 (ega can give 16 colors up to 640x350 so what the hell?) and the colors are 16 in grayscale (the entire game looks like s**t), but, is this how it is supposed to be, or not?

Since I tried this in my 486 and any old computer I've seen, it gives the same screen as dosbox, I mean the greyscale, that I'm showing:
atlantis059br4.png

BUT, when I close the game, just for a millisecond, it appears like this:

dosbox003yx1.png
LOOK!!!!!! BEATIFUL!!!!!! Am I guessing that you need a real EGA to make it like this? What about implementing native support of EGA machine on dosbox.conf, without being vga compatible? Maybe it's not so compatible after all!

What do you say? (If I was not very clear, it's 2:00am down here and I'm tired)

Reply 1 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why would anyone want to run a VGA game using EGA? Nice EGA dithering, by the way.

It works perfectly fine for me under DOSBox 0.71 and the WinXP NTVDM (although slow as hell in the latter).

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 6, by =zum=

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Why would anyone want to run a VGA game using EGA? Nice EGA dithering, by the way.

Because I have finished this game 500 times on VGA, and I'm curious! Now I want to play it in EGA! But not in that awful state. And the question shouldn't be "why would anyone want to run a VGA game using EGA?", should be "why I can't start it properly?

It works perfectly fine for me under DOSBox 0.71 and the WinXP NTVDM (although slow as hell in the latter).

Argh, I downloaded the last dosbox cvs right now and the screen is the same, even monkey2 gives this awful greyscale, perhaps it's a problem of italian versions?

Reply 4 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My version is the Spanish one. I think the problem might be related to something else. You need to keep investigating.

Tried different output=xxx methods for DOSBox? Do you have all your drivers up to date?

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 6, by =zum=

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Tried different output=xxx methods for DOSBox? Do you have all your drivers up to date?

I think that is useful, because as I said:

Since I tried this on my 486 and any old computer I've seen, it gives the same screen as dosbox

So, since you say

Works fine for me (indy4 and monkey2 german) under dosbox.

and

It works perfectly fine for me under DOSBox 0.71 and the WinXP NTVDM (although slow as hell in the latter). My version is the Spanish one.

my guess is that the italian atlantis.exe and monkey2.exe are buggy, so if someone can give me the interpreter of a different country, i could test if it is ok.

Thanks for answering me!