Common searches

Glide patch

Topic actions

Reply 141 of 246, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh, i was about to ask the same thing. Glad i'm not alone in thinking 75k cycles are not quite enough for TR.

According to MobyGames, Interstate '76 doesn't have GLIDE support.

Reply 142 of 246, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I've been using max cycles (105%) with TR and gotten as far as Palace Midas with no real problems; ring menu has not had any issues. Framerate is a bit uneven in larger areas like the Colosseum, but fixed cycles don't seem to help with that... I think my system is just hitting its limit.

I've tried enabling mipmaps in TR and in the OpenGlide settings, but don't really notice much of a difference... wondering what are the pros and cons of using it.

Reply 143 of 246, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kisai wrote:

I could never find all the supporting files needed to compile all the stuff gulikoza has patched into dosbox, so I wound up just downloading a svn tree, patching in mt-32 and the capture FIFO and going from there, as I didn't need the rest, or at least don't have any glide games to put in the effort of trying to make it work.

What problems did you have? Did anyone manage to compile a working OVL? Just asking... 😀

Here's a quick peek into the next version 😉

Attachments

• Pyl.png
    Filename
    Pyl.png
    File size
    270.16 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 144 of 246, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh you are a cruel, cruel man. Me want binary, not preview pics! (;

Which game is that btw?

On another note, some more feedback, slightly off-topic in the context of this thread, but still. Remember, I was the guy playing around with the PhysFS support. After the initial testing i've decided to go "flat file" again. The main reasons were that the patch didn't work properly in all games (my idea was to go either flatfile or archives for all games, not to mix both), and that i woldn't be able to play the compressed games with vanilla DOSBox or other builds without PhysFS. Seeing that ykhwong has removed PhysFS from his build ("ZIP/7Z mount was removed due to less maintenance of physfs patch."), and the apparently general low rate of interest on the matter I'd say that patch is not a priority one thing, and no one would probably miss it if it was removed/deactivated. Now, if it was working fine for all games and supported by official DOSBox... (; For me, the main reasons why I'm checking VOGONS daily for a new 0.74+ based Gulikoza build are 1. D3D, 2. GLIDE, 3. MT32. All the other features are nice to have but I don't really need them (yet?).

The more I think about it the more I realize: the D3D patch is actually quite the biggie. I mean, why does my CPU have to do the scaling when I have a powerful graphics card that's perfectly equipped for stuff like that? On my old P4 system (with a neat graphics card) the D3D patched builds performed noticeably better than vanilla DOSBox. I presume the difference will not be as drastic on my new system, but still...

Reply 145 of 246, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The game is Pył, reported not working by robertmo on page 6. It starts ok, but is quite slow later on...and I have core-i7. Perhaps not so soon, I'll have to start working on the speed side, not just the compatibility. But it's true it's hard to say whether the performance problems are due to the patch itself or just generally the games being (too) cpu intensive. Perhaps even try to thread it...

Yes, I do have PhysFS on my todo list to at least take a quick look at it for the next build. But you're right, I'll try not to waste too much time fixing it...

This should really go into D3D topic, but for me, D3D is the only useable output. Surface is well, surface...overlay is not very suited for RGB graphics and used to be very blurry. DDRAW is a big hack in dosbox (and a nice one as well 😀) and doesn't work properly in Vista&7. OpenGL does not support all scalers and is still very slow on Ati cards. That leaves only D3D... 😁

Reply 146 of 246, by szekeres2009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

WOW looks cool, have you considered to replace the old OpenGlide with something newer like nGlide? At the nGlide forums I found a build that uses nGlide as the Glide Wrapper, and Tomb Raider runs much more smoother with it. However the ingame videos constantly switches the game to window mode for the video duration, and even fullscreen=true won't help there. Anyway can't wait for your next build!

Reply 148 of 246, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
szekeres2009 wrote:

WOW looks cool, have you considered to replace the old OpenGlide with something newer like nGlide? At the nGlide forums I found a build that uses nGlide as the Glide Wrapper, and Tomb Raider runs much more smoother with it. However the ingame videos constantly switches the game to window mode for the video duration, and even fullscreen=true won't help there. Anyway can't wait for your next build!

NGlide isn't open source is it?

You can use any glide wrapper you want with Gulikoza's build but he's using an open source wrapper for obvious reasons.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 149 of 246, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
szekeres2009 wrote:

WOW looks cool, have you considered to replace the old OpenGlide with something newer like nGlide?

Openglide is the only one that is opensource and crossplatform. And because of that it is also hard to solve the problems like weird fullscreen handling. But you are free to replace the glide2x.dll in the dosbox directory with any wrapper you find works best for you, you don't need any special builds for that.

Reply 150 of 246, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote:

but openglhq does

Maybe (didn't test this), but the only recent build available with this patch is ykhwong's, which has nearly all of its former "goodies" removed in the last two builds. So what's your point?

Reply 151 of 246, by Kisai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gulikoza wrote:
Kisai wrote:

I could never find all the supporting files needed to compile all the stuff gulikoza has patched into dosbox, so I wound up just downloading a svn tree, patching in mt-32 and the capture FIFO and going from there, as I didn't need the rest, or at least don't have any glide games to put in the effort of trying to make it work.

What problems did you have? Did anyone manage to compile a working OVL? Just asking... 😀

Well when I downloaded the tarball, it wouldn't compile out of the box due to missing third party libraries, of which I couldn't ever get openglide to go, nor did the D3D stuff go either, eventually I kinda gave up on it, kept source in a separate directory to figure out how things were patched into it.

The build I have right now is the 0.74 CVS, with the MT-32, the Capture FiFO (See multithreaded capture thread), I put some additional options into the capture to make it stop/start a new capture file after X frames so that the videos could be exactly 10 minutes long for youtube/etc. I added the ability to change the zlib level to make it either compress heavier (level 6-9) or compress lighter(1-4.) Past that point I compiled a 64bit version with with Visual Studio, and it works... er mostly.

What I was having an issue with is locating what/where to get the third party libraries/missing-exports. I knew where to get zlib and libpng, past that I gave up on it since I wasn't trying to run anything that uses glide and didn't have anything to test it anyway.

Reply 153 of 246, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Argl... Lara's fat ass is back. Let me explain: I'm using my T500 in a docking station (I think the thing is called "Advanced MiniDock", it's basically a port replicator) when I'm at home. Yesterday I bought a nice Samsung LCD and connected it to the DVI port of the dock. Everything's working fine so far, but for some reason the "stretching options" in Catalyst Control Center are disabled (=greyed out) now. I've tried to do the registry patch mentioned in this thread, but it doesn't work. Looks like the ATI guys thought they should disable stretching in the driver completely when a display is connected via DVI. So, my basic point about the matter still stands: the perfect solution would be proper stretching with aspect correction by DOSBox/OpenGLIDE, if that's possible. It's not really a big deal, just annoying.

Ahem... Gulikoza, any news on an updated build? (;

Reply 154 of 246, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It isn't possible with current code. It might be possible with some code I have lying here on the hard drive but since TR doesn't even start with it, it doesn't help a lot 😀
Are you sure the new LCD does not have AR controls in the menus?

Reply 155 of 246, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the reply (; . The display only allows me to to set either 4:3 or 16:9, I don't think there are any other settings (I've spent hours browsing all menu items). I'm still hoping Lenovo will update their %&@ graphics drivers, maybe they will re-enable the "driver stretching" functionality in an update. The current Win7 drivers work quite well, but are having high power consumption issues and a few other quirks. Ah well, the joys of technology (; .

Reply 157 of 246, by Flint Eastwood

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello gulikoza.
I managed to compile my own Dosbox with the glide patch.
I made a 0.73 with glide-patch 2009-06-04 longer ago and now a 0.74 with glide 2009-11-24.

As I'm a big Fan of ArchimedeanDynasty(Schleichfahrt) I have some good and some bad news: The loading screen shows parts of the background now. It seems that you fixed some of the LFB problems.
But then loading stops and Dosbox complains about illegal reads and writes. Just wanted to let you know... 😉

Attachments

• Glide-2009-06-04.jpg
    Filename
    Glide-2009-06-04.jpg
    File size
    105.96 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Glide 2009-06-04 Missing Background/HUD elements
    File license
  • Glide-2009-11-24.jpg
    Filename
    Glide-2009-11-24.jpg
    File size
    111.78 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Glide 2009-11-24 Background interlaced showing
    missions doesn't start
    File license
  • Filename
    Dosbox074_GlideSwapSound.rar
    File size
    1.52 MiB
    Downloads
    1113 downloads
    File comment
    Dosbox 0.74 with Glide Support and SwapStereo Patch
    File license

i7 870 + Zotac 470GTX AMP! + 12GB RAM + Win7 64Bit

Reply 158 of 246, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

thanks for letting me know 😀. AD is one of the reasons why I haven't updated the sources yet (or my build for that matter). I have to find the time to fix it. I've just returned from my vacation, so hopefully fresh I'll be able to find some time to nail this one 😀

Reply 159 of 246, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yay for coding! (; Btw, a few days ago a new version of the nGlide wrapper has been released. Excerpt from the changelog:

Glide2: -added support for Tomb Raider (with DOSBox + Gulikoza patch) -added support for Tomb Raider: Unfinished Business (with […]
Show full quote

Glide2:
-added support for Tomb Raider (with DOSBox + Gulikoza patch)
-added support for Tomb Raider: Unfinished Business (with DOSBox + Gulikoza patch)
-added support for Grand Theft Auto (with DOSBox + Gulikoza patch)
-added support for Grand Theft Auto: London 1969 (with DOSBox + Gulikoza patch)
-added support for Carmageddon (with DOSBox + Gulikoza patch)

May be interesting/helpful.