Common searches

Glide patch

Topic actions

Reply 221 of 246, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I did have the correct glide2x.dll in the guest OS.
Nevermind, I figured it out. Somehow, the MapPhysToLin() implementation using VxDCall to DPMI service in Win9x was failing. I don't know why. I applied h-a-l-9000 paging patch, updated S3 drivers and somehow things were working.
I am able to get some 3Dfx demos working now, but some still failed. NFS2SE demo still failed, but this is a different failure, not related to glide calls thunking.

Reply 223 of 246, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found an issue with Glide patch.

When DOSBox is using imgmount'ed disk image instead of the mount'ed local folder, Glide calls which deals with local texture file, such as gu3dfGetInfo() failed located the file in the guest environment to feed to the host glide wrapper. I had a workaround to put the same texture files in the host OS manually for DOSBox to locate them to feed to the host glide wrapper.

My workaround is just a simple hack. A more elegant solution would be having DOSBox to copy the files on-the-fly from guest to host in a temp folder and remove or leave with it when DOSBox exits.

I feel that this may not be a new issue. It's probably been there since in the past I hadn't paid much attention in this area as I wasn't fascinated about DOS Glide. Now, as DOSBox improves to being able to boot Win9x, this has now made lots more sense.

Reply 224 of 246, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gulikoza, by the way, do you have any interest to port your glide pass-through patch to QEMU?
This would definitely breath new life into retro gaming for early Win9x native 3Dfx glide games.

Reply 225 of 246, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, never thought of that since when I started development win9x wasn't even the target. Later games use *TexDownloadMipMap and the wrapper doesn't need to access the file so I guess the issue never came up.

I never worked with QEMU and unfortunately have no knowledge of the code. I only deal with QEMU in KVM environments, but I have a feeling you're talking about the emulation part 😀
Wouldn't voodoo chip emulation be a better candidate for porting?

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 226 of 246, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't tried out the voodoo chip emulation in DOSBox. I read the post and I feel that it may be too slow as not everything is accelerated with host OpenGL and I couldn't download the patch from the thread. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to despise its significance, but I think Glide pass-through may have the advantage of performance and simplicity in implementation and maintain.

Reply 227 of 246, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I noticed issue on LFB accesses causing flicking. This only happens with dgVoodoo, but not OpenGLide.
For example, when pulling down console in Quake II demo, the console text is flicking. Similar, for games which render HUD using LFB, the HUD is also flickering. This is observed in MechWarrior 2 Titanium series.

Is this a known issue?

Reply 229 of 246, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With a real Voodoo2:
Battlecruiser 3000 A.D. 1.07c - "LFB memory map failed, using default LFB address!". Then ctd (dosbox.exe module unknown offset 3fb1590).
Battlecruiser 3000 A.D. 2.0 - same errors. The offset is 2fc1590.

With nGlide 1.02:
"LFB memory map failed..." message.
BC3k 1.07c - page fault.
BC3k 2.0 - module dosbox.exe offset 24236c.

IIRC the last Ykhwong's build which is working with these games is 5 Feb 2013.

Attachments

• BC3k.JPG
    Filename
    BC3k.JPG
    File size
    42.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 230 of 246, by danslb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I am dying to play Archimedean Dynasty via DosBox on my old PPC Mac, I´m also quite inept at complex procedure requiring manual patches and compiling.
I was hoping that maybe someone could supply a glide patched version of DOSBox for OSX or make a detailed tutorial of how to use the resources here in order to create one. I´m so wanting to play the game 🙁
I can get it running on dosbox but there are color issues, choppy video and sound problems.
Would be a real treat to have someone help 😁

Reply 231 of 246, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think you will not have any joy on a PPC Mac. It's just too slow, can't handle dynamic core etc. Sorry...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 233 of 246, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Since you say it runs badly already...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 235 of 246, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
danslb wrote:

I was hoping that maybe someone could supply a glide patched version of DOSBox for OSX or make a detailed tutorial of how to use the resources here in

Here is a Glide port for Mac OS X, but it's Intel only:
Mac OS X DOSBox game wrapper with 3Dfx Glide support (Intel 10.5 & 10.6)

Klimawandel.

Reply 236 of 246, by arromdee3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Attempting to use this on Mageia Linux 5.0 64 bit (and using openglide), it appears to work, but I do get a glitch: I am playing Tomb Raider. If I look at the main menu, or if I load a saved game, the polygons aren't shaded. However, the workaround is that if I go to Lara's home or start a new game, then return to the menu or load a game after that, miraculously the polygons are shaded and everything seems okay.

I have no idea if this glitch is an openglide bug or a dosbox bug.

Reply 237 of 246, by arromdee3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately, I tried Unfinished Business. Unfinished Business has the same glitch that I get on the regular levels. But it seems that my workaround to fixing the glitch doesn't work on UB--my guess is that the workaround depends on the FMVs and UB doesn't have any FMVs. So I'm stuck with no shading making everything look really weird.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Also, I get the following problems:
-- Running and exiting anything that uses Glide results in a black screen or window. I can still type invisibly in it and have my commands executed. (This was also reported by someone else here).
-- In the specific case of Tomb Raider, just going to the menu and immediately exiting results in a black screen. However, if I use the workaround--that is, if I go to Lara's home or start a new game, thus suddenly causing shaded polygons to work--and then exit, it crashes.

Edit: gulikoza solved this problem here but I still get the other two problems, as well as a problem where the FMVs don't work properly in fullscreen (which might not be related to the Glide patch_

Attachments

• noshading.png
    Filename
    noshading.png
    File size
    354.33 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    screenshot of problem
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 238 of 246, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can't remember if this patch can also hook glide.ovl (dgVoodoo 1.x can...)

Interesting, I just found evidence of a prebuilt Glide3x.ovl.

It's included with Quantum3D Obsidian2 90/200SB V5P (Professional Series Boards) - DirectX5 Driver, Release 5P
and Quantum3D Obsidian2 90/200SB V5.1P (Professional Series Boards) - DirectX5 Driver, Release 5.1P
See: http://falconfly.de/quantum.htm
Mention of it here: http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/downloads/ … UsersManual.pdf

My assumption is that it is card-specific, and AFAIK I do not think there are any test binaries (a Glide3 using DOS application compiled with Watcom).

Unless a standard 3dfx Glide3x.ovl can be built from Glide source (or the leaked source?) and Glide 3.x for DOS test binaries assembled... there would be no way to test 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 239 of 246, by Sophira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The patch in the original post of this thread no longer applies to a plain SVN build of DOSBox because r4056 changed the "configure.ac" file enough that a change to that file for Cygwin/mingw32 (lines 50-61 of the diff) gets rejected.

I don't know enough about the patch to know if it's okay or safe to just add the "-lshlwapi" flag back again; is there a more recent patch that can be used?