VOGONS

First post, by siron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My first post here, so first of all I want to express my thanks to the DOSBox devs. It is simply a great tool, actually the preferred way to play MOO2 multiplayer games in our community. Before DOSBox 0.65 implemented IXP support we used to play via Kali to simulate Network environment for our DOS game. But since 0.65 made MOO2 online games available on 2k, Linux and MAC; since it generally increased the stability of our games and since it is simply so pretty convenient to play in a box...it pretty fast replaced Kali.

There is just a few things I miss from Kali. Most importantly, Kali implemented some kind of check sum mechanism to assure the players use an identical exe file. Is it possible to add a similar feature to DOSBox? Maybe these check sums could be displayed in the DOSBox Status Window?

Furthermore it would be nice to see the exact command line of the host in that window. Unfortunately, the host can load seeded maps to gain an advantage in MOO2 via the command line. There are (IMO unjustified) accusations that some player abuse these option. It would be nice if DOSBox could include an option that the host can present his command line in the DOSBox Status Window of the other connected players. Such a feature would immediately stop these accusations.

I hope these both proposals are not too difficult to implement.

Thanks for reading.

http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com

Reply 2 of 3, by siron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You mean that the replacement of code would be easily possible since DOSBox is open source? I can just add that I had the impression noone figured out to manipulate the Kali display.

It is just that MOO2 is a pretty old game and many exploitable tables inside the exe are already known. Additionally, I would like to post many tables on MOO2 boards to help some modders. But it would invite cheaters when there is no counter measure at all.

So you think the display of the command line could also be easily manipulated in DOSBox...so it wouldn't be worth the effort?

http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com

Reply 3 of 3, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I had the impression noone figured out to manipulate the Kali display.

Well in dosbox it'd be some LOG_MSG in the end to display stuff,
and you can't really hide that code part. So simple checksum displaying
doesn't really work.