VOGONS

Reply 20 of 25, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It doesn't seem to work for me.
It runs and there don't seem to be any glitches, but it doesn't seem to want to let me use anything.
Somehow I killed two of the skeletons, but I don't know how.
I think this might be a nice way to kill some time, I'd just like help with the controls.
To be specific, F2 and F3 always bring up "cancel" and nothing else, even though it says at the top that I have a dagger.

EDIT: I got the short sword, and it appeared on the list; it seems like you have to move right up to an enemy and press the direction they're in to attack, is that how it works?

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions

Reply 21 of 25, by h00ch

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You just move using the arrow keys and move into the monster you want to kill or the item you want to pick up. When the option appears to pick something up, you press "P" as it says on the left of the screen.

Reply 23 of 25, by general_vagueness

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, thanks.

Hey, I finally made a short post!

You cannot fall off the floor.
If you look hard enough, you'll find something you don't like.

How to ask questions the smart way
How to become a hacker
How to answer smart-alec questions

Reply 24 of 25, by lairdmusich

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am trying to run an application in DosBox that requires an 80x50 text screen, and I noticed the Set80x50.com utility that was posted a long time ago by Ripsaw8080. This program does the trick, however, I was hoping the application I'm developing could manipulate the screen mode directly (instead of needing to execute an external program). Ripsaw8080, you said the Set80x50.com application was written in assembler... you wouldn't happen to be wiling to share that assembler code? (if you still have it) I could then insert that code directly into a program that I'm writing for my students in my computer science class. Would that be possible?

Reply 25 of 25, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Switching from 80x25 to 80x50 only involves loading the 8-line font, which you can do with a video BIOS function: https://www.delorie.com/djgpp/doc/rbinter/id/52/1.html

mov ax,1112h
mov bl,0
int 10h