VOGONS

First post, by jawell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
a few years ago, before I’ve discovered DosBox, I tried out VDMSound and another sound emulation software (commercial) from Software Systems - SoundFX 2000.
I could be wrong, but I found, that SoundFX 2000 was emulating the SB16 considerably better then VDMSound (qualitative) and SoundFX worked quite a bit smoother on my old system.
Have there been any efforts made from Dosbox team to contact Software Systems concerning SoundFX? May be they could do some contribution to the (fantastic) Dosbox-project?

…just an idea…

Reply 1 of 2, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOSBox already emulates an SB16 pretty accurately, save for lacking detail/accuracy in it's OPL3 playback and it does so with little impact on the emulation as a whole (ie disabling soundcard emulation in DOSBox essentially just mutes it by preventing output - I think it still is processing the emulated calls regardless) so I'm not sure what the team would gain by approaching the devs you mentioned. Software Systems have since dropped SoundFX-2000 but I imagine that they still want to hold onto the rights of their source so unless they put it into the public domain via GPL or equivalent I don't think the DOSBox would be able to make use of it.

Reply 2 of 2, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

disabling soundcard emulation in DOSBox essentially just mutes it

Wrong, sbtype=none disables sb emulation, whereas the mixer's nosound=true
only disables output of sound data to the host.