VOGONS

First post, by Miki Maus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know that CVS releases aren't supported, but this strange error pops up in DOSBox status window in latest ykhwong's CVS build:

Exit to error: INT10_SetActivePage page 128

Then DOSBox closes.

The game in question is Lemmings, and I also noticed this error with some other games, can't remember which ones. In regular DOSBox 0.72 games start normally, without error. 😕

Also it appears that SoundBlaster code is broken too in some way, as I only hear rumble in some games (ie. Pinball Fantasies), while in regular 0.72 everything is fine (default settings).

Reply 2 of 12, by Miki Maus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Immediately when running lemmings.bat or when running vgalemmi.exe after choosing PC type. I also noticed that with 5500 cycles (dyn. core) or lower the error doesn't show up when running vgalemmi.exe, anything higher and it won't work. With normal core it's 6500 cycles. Strange...

Edit: The error also shows up when starting Overkill shareware from Epic Megagames, any cycles/core.

Reply 3 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

wd changed that to see if anyone actually uses illegal pages.
it does judging from your report.

Thanks

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 12, by Miki Maus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No problem, just tried clean cvs build, page 128 problem is there, sound is working fine. I mostly use ykhwong's cvs build, but I will test things before reporting in clean cvs build from now on. 😊

Reply 7 of 12, by Miki Maus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Clean install of DOSBox 0.72, with latest clean cvs binary (all default settings), page 128 error is still there while launching Overkill and Lemmings.

Edit: You can get Overkill shareware here http://www.classicdosgames.com/shooter.html

Reply 8 of 12, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was programmed to quit DOSBox if the page number is more than 7. As qbix mentioned, wd made the changes 4 weeks ago. It is easy to get Overkill to work by simply disabling the following two lines in int10_char.cpp, but DOSBox developers might have other solutions against the use of illegal pages.

if (page>7) E_Exit("INT10_SetActivePage page %d",page);
if (page>7) E_Exit("INT10_SetCursorPos page %d");

Reply 9 of 12, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ykhwong wrote:

It was programmed to quit DOSBox if the page number is more than 7. As qbix mentioned, wd made the changes 4 weeks ago.

Does using 0x80 work for Tandy/PCjr mode? I think it should if not. Also, what does the VGA BIOS do when encountering an invalid page? Return some error? In which case DOSbox should do the same?

JAL