VOGONS

First post, by Student

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all.

I'm taking a class on data structures this semester, and one of our assignments is to modify an open-source program. We need to locate a data structure, see if we can improve it, and then try to improve it anyway, by making a data structure more unique to the program. Or if there is a place where a data structure would be useful but there isn't one at the moment, we can add one. We're mostly looking for data structures like lists, vectors, maps, etc. I choose DOSBox (as should be obvious by now).

Please help me out. If anyone has any suggestions as to where the code can be improved (because I would actually like this to improve the code if possible), please let me know.

Also, how does one get the code to compile? I know I need the SDL library, which I downloaded, but I'm not exactly sure what to do with it now. (I actually have very little experience in more advanced projects and am rather intimidated by it all).

Thanks for any help you can give!

Reply 1 of 3, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

wouldn't suggesting what to improve be actually doing your homework ?

As you don't tell us what your operating system i will asume that it is windows as windows users always asume that everybody runs it

for building dosbox take a look here. I don't know how accurate these instructions are though
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php? … =BuildingDOSBox

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 3, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

anyway. some places where vector and likes are used which might be changed

src/gui/sdl_mapper.cp
src/dos/drive_cache.cpp
src/misc/setup.cpp <--although these files are currently under reconstruction, so you might want to stay away from those

if you are looking for selfwritten and maintained memory structures
src/hardware/pic.cpp (at the bottom)
probabably the mixer channel stuff as well
src/hardware/mixer.cpp

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 3, by Student

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks! That's very helpful.

The homework/project I am doing is actually modifying the code and communicating with people who know the code, so no worries, I'm not cheating. 😀

Sorry about not specifying my os; you were right, it was windows, and windows users DO assume everyone uses it. I apologize for us all.

Anyway, thanks a bunch