VOGONS

First post, by Kurt_Aust

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Currently a silent installation of DOSBox is possible with the following switch:
DOSBox0.72-win32-installer.exe /S

Unfortunately the default installation is for a single user, which means that if added to a modified OS install CD it is installed for the Administrator only. While there are ways around this, they're not exactly elegant.

For the next release, could the default install be changed to an all users install?

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 4, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

how do you imagine the editing of the configuration file in this case ?
(as this is already getting a problem with limited acces accounts on vista as that installs it under administrator)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 4, by Kurt_Aust

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

how do you imagine the editing of the configuration file in this case ?
(as this is already getting a problem with limited acces accounts on vista as that installs it under administrator)

I generally use SubInACL for that sort of problem. Amazingly useful tool, but I'm not sure if it would be acceptable for this project. I'm not even sure it would work under Vista (works on all NT5.x versions of Windows).

The command syntax would be:
SubInACL /file "%ProgramFiles%\DOSBox-0.72\dosbox.conf" /grant=everyone
and for x64 versions of Windows
SubInACL /file "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\DOSBox-0.72\dosbox.conf" /grant=everyone

Reply 3 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Having the config file inside the installation directory is wrong IMHO.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 4, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

IMHO I agree with MiniMax, it IS convenient for experienced users who like to have configuration files with their apps in one folder (those tend to be people that worked a lot in real Dos, Windows 3.x and such). But for normal users it isn't, especially with people working on Vista. IMO Dosbox should look in some path like %appdata%/Dosbox for its config file, at least on Windows, or %homepath%/dosbox or something similar. Or even better make it behave in a way it first looks at certain paths (like %appdata%/dosbox) for its config file and only when it doesn't find the file there it should look at its own location to find the conf file.
"We" do something like this with Pentagram (http://pentagram.sf.net) (AFAIK 😀).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper